Fourth Of July Cupcake

Baking By salokin Updated 4 Jul 2016 , 10:19pm by hippiecac

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 8

I want to make some cupcakes for the foutmrth of July. I really want to try to use pop rocks in some way, to represent fireworks. Would they still pop if I were to bake them into the cupcake, or do you think that would be a no go?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 8

what a great idea and question -- i know I've seen something like that done on cupcake wars on tv but I have no idea but I googled and voila

https://www.google.com/search?q=pop+rocks+candy+cupcake+recipe&oq=pop+rocks+in+a+cupcake&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j0l2.12868j0j4&client=tablet-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 12:01am
post #3 of 8

I would think the heat from the oven would melt the sugar in the candy. I DO know you can put them in the melted chocolate when molding candy and lollypops. So, you can put the Pop Rocks in the candy coating, but I don't think they will survive the oven.

salokin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
salokin Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 2:18am
post #4 of 8

That's what I was thinking would happen.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 4:25am
post #5 of 8

How about sprinkling them over the frosting?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2016 , 8:56pm
post #6 of 8

in that link betty crocker baked hers

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 8

I think the Pop Rocks in the batter will make the cupcakes like fun-fetti cake and add only color spots. Looking at the pics of the cake w/candy, they look melted into the batter. I would be surprised if they popped. I think It's the raw Pop Rocks that would actually have the popping action.  So, my recommendation is to put them in the icing and filling.

hippiecac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hippiecac Posted 4 Jul 2016 , 10:19pm
post #8 of 8

As soon as PopRocks touch moisture they pop. So they will react to batter, filling, and even the moisture in the air. 

You can bake the cupcakes, core and fill with PopRocks. Or frost and sprinkle with PopRocks. Either way they need to be served within a couple hours.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%