My Cakes Always Take Much Longer Baking Time Than That Suggested In The Recipe. Why Would This Be?

Baking By newbeeatcakes Updated 7 Sep 2016 , 10:45pm by newbeeatcakes

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 1:48pm
post #1 of 14

My cakes always take much longer than the baking time suggested in the recipe. They eventually end up baking fine, but I always have to keep checking them, and also wait much longer. I was wondering why would this be. Could anyone help? Thanks.

13 replies
kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 14

Check your oven.  It sounds as though it my not be reaching the temperature you think it is.  Set the temperature and stick a thermometer in it to see if it's reaching the proper temperature.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 14

are you filling them too full? and of course opening the oven door cools the oven so try to keep that to a minimum -- write down how long it takes for a certain batter in that certain pan so you'll know next time --

here's a chart regarding suggested batter amounts and other things:

http://www.wilton.com/cms-wedding-cake-data.html

newbeeatcakes Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 8:33am
post #4 of 14

Thanks for the tip! Let me check that.

newbeeatcakes Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 8:35am
post #5 of 14

That's a very helpful chart. Thanks so much!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 1:17pm
post #6 of 14

and if you use the wet strips -- sometimes called magic strips it can increase the bake considerably depending on how wet you get them

-K8memphis Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 1:17pm
post #7 of 14

and you're wecome

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 14

You don't give us any indication as to just how much time difference there is.  But just the same I bet you oven temp is off.  If it's an electric oven one of the elements is probably not working.   Call for a service check.  Most of the time both elec and gas companies will do that for free.  It's call 'calibrating'.  

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Aug 2016 , 8:47pm
post #9 of 14

I bake at 325F and it always takes a lot longer.   I never go by what instructions may say, I go by the appearance of the cake, and when it looks done, I start doing toothpick tests at 5 minute intervals. 

newbeeatcakes Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 6:38am
post #10 of 14

Usually I have to bake for around an extra half an hour. It's a new oven, so I assumed there isn't a problem with it.

By the way, what kind of thermometers do yo use for oven?

newbeeatcakes Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 6:40am
post #11 of 14

I do the same, but usually its wet from inside so I have to end up keeping it for longer. I avoid opening the oven again too frequently then.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Aug 2016 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 14

Even new ovens can be off calibration :)  Invest in a good thermometer....do NOT get those cheap store ones w/a pointer.  They are soooooooo inaccurate!  Look for one at a kitchen or appliance repair supply store.  

simplysweets134 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysweets134 Posted 1 Sep 2016 , 11:42am
post #13 of 14

I agree that your oven temperature is probably off.  I recently moved and had the opposite problem.  My cakes were not baking evenly and the outside would be dry and inside hardly baked.  I bought an oven thermometer and found that my oven is always 15-20 degrees hotter than I set it.  Solved all my problems.  I keep the thermometer in there now.  Also, don't open your oven to much.  Drops 25 degrees or more every time you do.  

newbeeatcakes Posted 7 Sep 2016 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 14

I have had this problem with cakes with nuts or fruits (almond cake, fig cake, zucchini cake). The outside would be baked like you said, and inside would sometimes be all wet/partially baked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%