Baking Gluten Free Cake Ahead Of Time?

Baking By holliw13 Updated 29 Jun 2016 , 11:54am by yellowdog

holliw13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliw13 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to make a wedding cake and 65 cupcakes for a friend at work. The cupcakes will be regular cake, but the actual wedding cake itself will be gluten free. The bride to be has a specific brand she likes, so she has asked me to use it. My question is this.....can a gluten free cake be baked and then frozen a few days in advance like a normal cake can be? I have to have everything together by Friday morning and I was planning to do all of the baking on Tuesday. I know the cupcakes will be fine but has anyone else tried freezing a gluten free cake?  Also, how far ahead can homemade buttercream icing be made?

Thanks in advance for the help!

5 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 8:50pm
post #2 of 6

Is the bride aware that a gluten free mix made in a kitchen where gluten products are used and in equipment that has been used for gluten products will NOT produce a gluten free cake?

If it is a severe allergy, this is an issue... if it is just a dietary choice with no medical issues, then I guess it isn't a big issue...

As for freezing the cake... You could just do a trial and see...

Depending on your type of buttercream, depends on the answers... a standard american buttercream can be made easily weeks ahead of time and frozen...

I would freeze the cupcakes already decorated... it is easier that way... at least for me it has always been...

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 6

Not sure it helps, but I have seen frozen gluten free cupcakes in one of the stores here. My friend said they were good.

DGbcs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DGbcs Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 3:16am
post #4 of 6

I successfully freeze gluten free cake all the time.  In my experience there is no difference compared to non gluten free cake (at least with my recipe). :)

holliw13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holliw13 Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 11:08am
post #5 of 6

Thank you all very much for the help!

yellowdog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellowdog Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 11:54am
post #6 of 6

DGbcs, would you care to share that gluten free recipe?  I'm gluten free and I would love to find a cake that I can eat that tastes good too.  I don't bake gluten free for clients because I can't guarantee that my kitchen it completely free of gluten.  Too much of a risk to take with allergies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%