Friday Night Cake Club For 6/24/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 2 Jul 2016 , 4:43pm by DormCat

DormCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DormCat Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 3:43am
post #31 of 76

Thanks for the advice on the colour dust. 

Anyone else have problems with posting pictures? Mine was just fine until I hit submit hen it turned. I even went back and edited original picture upside down thinking it would turn up right...Not. 

So many nice cakes, I envy your talents. 

Anyone ever use Petal Crafts daffodil cutter veiner set? Instructions are very vague and the petal cutter just doesn't seem to be right size and shape. So I'm taking different ideas from tutorials to get something together. Don't have time to order something else.

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 4:04am
post #32 of 76

I just posted a pic, it was fine. Sorry you are having trouble with it.

Have you seen this, a round cutter is used........hth

http://www.cakecentral.com/tutorial/27890/gumpaste-daffodil-cake

DormCat Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 5:36am
post #33 of 76

Yes. already made stamens and the funnel from petal crafts and doing a test run using the stargazer leaf and the small orchid. They're drying and I'll see which one works best. The petal crafts funnel seems a bit large and the petal cut tee is short and wide.  Will post a picture when done 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:05pm
post #34 of 76

@DormCat ‍ I used the Petal Crafts daffodil cutter veined set recently and it took me a couple tries to flowers I was happy with. I found that thinning out the petals with a ball tool made them the right size. Does that make sense?  These are mine.  Not the best but what I went with.

[postimage id="4422" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 12:30pm
post #35 of 76

Grrrrr....why can't we edit our #%*! posts?!  I didn't t notice all my typos until after I hit submit....

@Marian64 ‍ and @carolinecakes ‍ I'm not a business either and that's why the cake porter was a splurge.  I saved up my money and figured it was worth it to save myself the stress of getting cakes to people in the heat. I guess it al depends on how often you do cakes and if many of them are in the warm months as to whether or not it's worth it to you.  Maybe it can be a birthday gift or Christmas gift? That's how I get some of the "big" things I want for cakes :-) 

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:21pm
post #36 of 76

Quote by @kstevens on 1 hour ago

@DormCat ‍ I used the Petal Crafts daffodil cutter veined set recently and it took me a couple tries to flowers I was happy with. I found that thinning out the petals with a ball tool made them the right size. Does that make sense?  These are mine.  Not the best but what I went with.

THIS

@kstevens ‍ I have a friend who only wants BC cakes and its always in  June, and her kids B- days are in Aug & Sept, so I can definitely use it. Hmmm....my B-day is coming......

Your daffodils are pretty. I haven't tried making those yet.

yes it would be nice to be able to EDIT........

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 1:29pm
post #37 of 76

@kstevens I just splurged on the Russian tips. Which means I have to bake this weekend to try them out. I will probably get it way before Christmas because I am not that patience:

DormCat Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 7:08pm
post #38 of 76

@kstevens ‍ 

wow, they look great. I am still playing around with the kit. I've never used a veiner before so haven't quite figured that out yet.  My Star Wars Lego birthday cake got moved to a later date so now have a bit more time 

kstevens Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 9:30pm
post #39 of 76

@DormCat ‍ thanks for the compliment :-)   What I did was roll out my gumpaste, thinned the edges with my ball tool and then "squished" it between the two veining pieces.  The center bit gave me the most grief.  Good luck with yours!

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 10:33pm
post #40 of 76

Ugh I just did a bunch of pics and no post?!?! So tired of the bugs on this website, reminded again why I've stayed away

carolinecakes Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 10:57pm
post #41 of 76

Sorry you're having trouble.....try posting one at a time.......tedious I know but give it a go.

Naivohw Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:12pm
post #42 of 76

Ok, testing 123. I'm sort of cheating, these are from 2 weeks ago because I was out all last week with an injured hand. 

[postimage id="4449" thumb="900"]

Naivohw Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:17pm
post #43 of 76
Naivohw Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:19pm
post #44 of 76

[postimage id="4453" thumb="900"]

Naivohw Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:20pm
post #45 of 76

[postimage id="4454" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Posted 28 Jun 2016 , 11:49pm
post #46 of 76

@Naivohw ‍ Glad you finally got to post. Love the colors on the beach cake.

carolinecakes Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 12:16am
post #47 of 76

@Naivohw Your cakes are beautiful, the beach theme, is my favorite. Love the color effects. Sometimes you have to post the pics and text separately, the site is glitchy at times. Glad you were able to post.

DormCat Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 1:50pm
post #48 of 76

@Naivohw ‍ really liked your "tequila sunrise" cake.

kstevens Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 2:43pm
post #49 of 76

@Naivohw ‍ I really like your beach cake :-)   I second what @carolinecakes ‍ said about posting. I have had the most success by posting text followed by pictures.  I can never get it to work if I try putting too much text with photos.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 4:29pm
post #50 of 76

WOW you guys! I come back to see what is still blowing up the board and see all of these amazing cakes!!! I'm always wow'd by your talent and it's being a lot of fun to see how some of you are growing with your abilities to continue to make even more impressive creations!

As for the issues with the site. I really wish I had any ability to do something about it. I do know that they work on it constantly and that it's far from perfect and that it's really really frustrating. I wish I had the fix. I do hope that you all will continue to fight against the issues and keep posting each week.

love,

Cat

DormCat Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 6:44pm
post #51 of 76

Ok, ladies this is what I've got so far on the daffodils  not sure if I like them or not. I've used a mixture of several different tutorials but have come to the conclusion that my Centre bottoms aren't flat enough or at all so will make a couple and see if that works better.  Also don't know if bride wants any colour at all in centres and bottom edges of petals but at least I'll have something to show her. Always easier to add the colour after flower is completed than to take apart and make more. 

im running out of vases and I used to have a dining room table

DormCat Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 6:47pm
post #52 of 76

[postimage id="4458" thumb="900"]Well darn there was a picture when I hit submit 

I'll try again

kstevens Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 7:00pm
post #53 of 76

@DormCat ‍ I can see a picture but it's loaded upside down again :-(  You're flowers are looking great.  Personally I like the daffodils in the short glasses at the front of the picture with the wider petals.  The petals on the one next to the peonies I think are a little too narrow?

kstevens Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 7:02pm
post #54 of 76

@DormCat ‍ I forgot to say all the other flowers to the left look really good too what I can see of them :-) 

carolinecakes Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 9:36pm
post #55 of 76

@DormCat ‍ your flowers are looking good, when I make flowers, the thing that I find helpful, is to look at the actual flower. Pictures at different angles are just as good as a flower from the shop, plastic or silk if the real deal is hard to find.

As far as flower holders I am big on DIY

Styro-foam Disposable Dessert bowls - get at the Dollar Store these are great since you can make a hole in the bottom for  the wires and sit the bowls on those wire shelves or a cooling rack set on 2 loaf pans.

Produce Trays -great for drying petals and  these are free, just ask at your local market or grocery, they throw these out.

Ok now I woozy from standing on head......lol

DormCat Posted 29 Jun 2016 , 11:26pm
post #56 of 76

I don't know what is going on with my pictures. Maybe it's my iPad. I'll try phone next time.

i did go to Hobby lobby to look at daffodil but they didn't have any.  I did Google all white daffodils and wow, there are a few different types. 

I agree about the thin petals but that was what the lady used(Lilly cutter) in one of the tutorials. Looks too much like the Lilly. I ended up making more petals from the petal crafts kit and the small orchid. I liked them best.  I also made more centres to try. 

I drilled different size holes in a piece of scrap wood and cut  dowel rods of different heights I can take apart to also use as a drying rack. Just a spur of the moment idea that works great.  I need to remind myself to ask about the produce trays next time I'm at store. 

Thanks for all the input, I really appreciate it

kstevens Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 12:44am
post #57 of 76

@carolinecakes ‍ you cracked me up with the dizzy comment :-) 

carolinecakes Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 1:23am
post #58 of 76

@kstevens [postimage id="4459" thumb="900"]

carolinecakes Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 2:29am
post #59 of 76

hmmmm...... part of my post was cut off.....

@Dormcat‍ love your DIY drying rack.

Marian64 Posted 30 Jun 2016 , 2:58am
post #60 of 76

@Dormcat can't wait to see the finished cake. It is going to be beautiful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%