Confessions Of A Baker...

Lounge By Webake2gether Updated 2 Jul 2016 , 10:42pm by jgifford

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:19am
post #31 of 42

Quote by @docofthedead on 1 hour ago

Quote by @costumeczar on 6 days ago

I crack eggs straight into the moving mixer, I eat raw cake batter, and I don't wear gloves for protection when I do isomalt. I'm not a good example for the children. worried.png

Not to sound ignorant, but are eggs not to be broken into a moving mixer? I have never heard that before.

I am guilty of eating raw cake batter and sometimes cookie dough if it isn't chocolaate chip..lol

You shouldn't crack eggs directly into anything because of the risk of egg shells and the occasional bloody egg getting into the batter. You should crack them all into a mixing cup one by one and add them from that so that you can remove any shell pieces etc. That's what you SHOULD do, what we REALLY do is different, usually stuck_out_tongue.png

costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:21am
post #32 of 42

Cake Wrecks doesn't notify you one way or another, either. They have too much to keep track of already. I did a cake for their book tour when they came here and they were telling us how many submissions they get per day, it was ridiculous. I've been on the Sunday Sweets a couple of times and the only reason I knew is that someone would tell me about it, I wouldn't have known otherwise.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:53am
post #33 of 42

My confession is pretty bad lol.

My Grandma just turned 91 and was admitted for respite care for a few days so we will be celebrating her birthday next weekend however I didn't want to let her actual birthday go unnoticed.

I organised to meet my Mum and her partner there along with myself, my hubby and our three year old and we were bringing cupcakes.

Said three year old and I mix up a half batch of 'the best ever banana cake' recipe (delicious by the way :-) ). I turn my back for a minute to get the cupcake cases and hear 'mmmm' from behind me, turn around in time to see her putting the spatula that she had just licked back into the bowl.

Considered my options and went ahead and baked the cupcakes on a 'what they don't know wont hurt them basis' lol.

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:57am
post #34 of 42

Quote by @costumeczar on 34 minutes ago

Quote by @docofthedead on 1 hour ago

Quote by @costumeczar on 6 days ago

I crack eggs straight into the moving mixer, I eat raw cake batter, and I don't wear gloves for protection when I do isomalt. I'm not a good example for the children. worried.png

Not to sound ignorant, but are eggs not to be broken into a moving mixer? I have never heard that before.

I am guilty of eating raw cake batter and sometimes cookie dough if it isn't chocolaate chip..lol

You shouldn't crack eggs directly into anything because of the risk of egg shells and the occasional bloody egg getting into the batter. You should crack them all into a mixing cup one by one and add them from that so that you can remove any shell pieces etc. That's what you SHOULD do, what we REALLY do is different, usually stuck_out_tongue.png

Well that makes perfect sense!  I feel silly now!  The bloody egg never occurred to me.  I have actually never seen one before.
Thank you for the resoponse, I appreciate it!
I am reading your blog, and I think put myself on the the mailing list.  I attempted to leave a comment about your entry about the puppy grooms cake, but I don't think I did it properly.  I wanted to say that I found it hilarious!!  "poor puppy"  LOL  I LOVE it!!

docofthedead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
docofthedead Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 2:02am
post #35 of 42

Quote by @bubs1stbirthday on 4 minutes ago

My confession is pretty bad lol.

My Grandma just turned 91 and was admitted for respite care for a few days so we will be celebrating her birthday next weekend however I didn't want to let her actual birthday go unnoticed.

I organised to meet my Mum and her partner there along with myself, my hubby and our three year old and we were bringing cupcakes.

Said three year old and I mix up a half batch of 'the best ever banana cake' recipe (delicious by the way :-) ). I turn my back for a minute to get the cupcake cases and hear 'mmmm' from behind me, turn around in time to see her putting the spatula that she had just licked back into the bowl.

Considered my options and went ahead and baked the cupcakes on a 'what they don't know wont hurt them basis' lol.

Happy Birthday grandma!!  many more to come!  I hope she enjoys her best ever banana bread!

(my grandmother passed away exactly one week before she turned 100}

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 5:15am
post #36 of 42

............turn my back for a minute to get the cupcake cases and hear 'mmmm' from behind me, turn around in time to see her putting the spatula that she had just licked back into the bowl.

Better yet go on the assumption that all the germs were killed by the heat of baking!?!  I'm very sure if that batch of batter was for a customer you would NOT have done that :)

gfbaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gfbaby Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 7:06am
post #37 of 42

This is the best post EVER!! 

I eat ganache.

And SMBC. 

Til I feel sick.

And I dont take it off the bill. But I DO use a spoon. 

And wash my hands a lot.

Happy birthday to all grandmas!!!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 1:54pm
post #38 of 42

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone :-) @docofthedead ‍ 99 is amazing hopefully I get to make another few cakes for my grandma! @kakeladi ‍ lol, I only bake for family so nope, definitely no customers getting cakes licked by three year olds here, I was counting on the heat killing any germs but still held back from disclosing the taste testing process lol. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 2:13pm
post #39 of 42

i think I like your cake tasting testing process, bubsfirst, sounds perfectly adorable

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 6:26pm
post #40 of 42

here is a funny little story about a year ago before we opened I was baking something and splashed vanilla all over the wall and myself. My husband comes home from work and we are sitting together on the couch and he leans over and says "ohhh you smell really good" and gives me that look you know "the look" and  I said it's vanilla I apparently didn't get wiped off all the way. Do you know what I got in my stocking at Christmas....warm vanilla sugar body splash from bath and body works I guess he likes vanilla lol :) 

costumeczar Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 10:41pm
post #41 of 42

I read somewhere that the most "erotic" fragrances, as rated by men, are vanilla and cinnamon. I think for women it's the scent of a full night's sleep uninterrupted by snoring, but that's a different story.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 2 Jul 2016 , 10:42pm
post #42 of 42

Women used to use vanilla for perfume back in the olden days.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%