Sugar Decorations Going Soft

Decorating By rosiemaguire Updated 6 Jun 2016 , 10:49pm by maybenot

rosiemaguire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiemaguire Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

I sell cake decorations as a business, I have been on maternity leave and in this time moved house but not far (same town) from a flat to a house and since I have been back in business I am struggling to get them to dry hard! Sometimes they dry and then go soft again before I have to send  them. I used fondant before I moved and that would always dry out enough, I have added tylo powder now and still they are not drying well! Does anyone have any advice of how to get then to dry?? Or any ideas as to why this would be happening? I'm really struggling!

Thanks!!

Rosie

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 7

Your house must be more humid that the apartment was. Maybe you could try a dehumidifier to see if that helps, because if you're in the same town it can't be something like the weather being different.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 5 Jun 2016 , 10:23pm
post #3 of 7

If I were selling the decos, I'd invest in a dehydrator and use it for all retail products.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 1:06am
post #4 of 7

I use a dehydrator for a lot of things, it's very useful.

SweetyGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetyGirl Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 1:46am
post #5 of 7

Is this the same type of dehydrator people use for drying fruit?

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 7

Ok ...I built a "drying cupboard" to store and keep my gumpaste and fondant work dry....its my safe gumpaste spot.....

i had a cupboard I previously used for linen not too big about 5ft wide by 4ft high with a shelf......on the lower shelf I installed a light socket and used an extension cord for the plug.....I use  a 100watt bulb ( not the flourescent energy saver ones)

These bulbs give off heat and in the closed environment keeps the flowers warm.....I drilled 2 vent holes in the back and covered with screening and some vent holes in the shelf to allow for convection.......during the rainy season in Trinidad the weather is particularly anti gumpaste an fondant....but my cupboard makes it much easier :)

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Jun 2016 , 10:49pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @SweetyGirl on 20 hours ago

Is this the same type of dehydrator people use for drying fruit?

Yes.  You can find some with removable shelves so that you can dry things of varying heights.

[postimage id="4132" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%