Stacking A Layer Cake

Decorating By AshleighP Updated 3 Jun 2016 , 5:09pm by Apti

AshleighP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AshleighP Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 3

So i'm making a cake for a friends birthday, i was playing on make a Neapolitan cake with 6 layers. I've never assembled a cake of that height before and was wondering how hight the cake should be before I put in support? Also kind of support should i be using? Please help!! 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 3

The rule of thumb is support anything over 4" tall.  I'm assuming each layer is 2" tall then your finished cake will be 12" tall?

That is going to be a nightmare to transport! :(  The kind of support used it up  to you -- maybe those hollow plastic tubes Wilton has?  This might be a time for SPS - get LeahS attention for more information on those.  It will give much more stability to such a tall cake.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 3 Jun 2016 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 3

Just go with 1/2" (or 3/4") high layers in the neopolitan flavors.      (Kakeladi, I can't imagine she was talking about 2" high layers...)

You'll end up with a cake that is about 6"+ tall with filling and frosting.  I'd recommend two wooden dowels driven through the cake from top to bottom, about 2 inches apart.  You may wish to place the cake on a foam core cake board (covered with fondant or Fanci-Foil) and then you can actually drive the sharpened dowels down into the foam core to provide extra stability.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%