Storing And Transporting Wedding Cake - Help!

Baking By TinyPandora Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 9:06pm by LCMcakes

TinyPandora Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinyPandora Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all,

I will be making my own wedding cake in a few months. I have done some test runs that I'm very happy with but I'm worried about storing and transporting it. 

I'll be making a Victoria sponge with cream and jam filling like: https://uk.pinterest.com/pin/48695239698160756/. I'm thinking I will make the sponge and transport it bare, then add the filling the day before the wedding to keep it as fresh as possible.

Our venue is a 5 hour drive away and we will be arriving two days before the wedding. I have two plans: either make it the cake the day before we leave and try to keep it refrigerated until the day, or rather than try to bake it on the day before we leave and stress myself out (!), make it a few days in advance and freeze the sponge slices individually, then try to keep it refrigerated until the day.

I'm assuming it will keep fresh better if it's refrigerated as it will be 3-4 days old by the wedding, but maybe I'm wrong?? Also a bit worried about it warming up during the 5 hour drive.

My cake is lovely and moist but I'm worried that with all the storage time and transport before the day it will be dry by the time we eat it! And being my wedding cake I'm really worried about it not being perfect by the time we get round to eating it.

Can anyone help with advice? Thanks!

2 replies
640Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
640Cake Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 3

Refrigerator will dry the cake out - freezer will retain the moisture (if not add to it).  I am in the habit of freezing all of my cakes, even if only for a few hours as I swear they are better after freezing - and makes the icing process easier.

LCMcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LCMcakes Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 3

My personal experience is that (my) cakes don't dry out in the fridge.  I have been blessed with consistent customer comments after events and have had many customers say how moist and wonderful the cake was.  I do freeze my cakes beforehand, bring to room temperature, decorate, then refrigerate.  My experience has been that they transport better cold, there is less chance for the cake to slip and slide.  I would suggest a test run on a small 6" cake: bake and freeze after it cools, decorate, refrigerate for 12-24 hrs, let it come to room temp in a box, then eat the next day and see how you like it.  Your climate may be different than mine so I suggest the test run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%