Will Box Cake Stand Up To 3 Tiers - Supported?

Decorating By Bmarco Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 4:56am by kakeladi

Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 4

Baking a 3 tiered cake.  10/8/6 inch with supports.  Will box cake support?

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 4

One could make a 3 tier 'cake' out of whipped cream with the right supports   It's not  cake that supports the upper tiers it's the support system used.   The problem w/your 3 tiers is that the base is not big enough to give good support once the cake is put together.  If the base cake were 12" then 9 & 6 on top  it would be much more secure expecially when transported.  But that's just my opinion,.  I know many people use 10, 8, 6 which to me it looks like a skinny tower.  Yes, definately a box mix will not be a problem.  Look through my album on this site.  ALL of those cakes were made with a box mix using my *original* WASC recipe.  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/2322/white-almond-sour-cream-cake-wasc#qLMAsuioaUh0qFWP.99

Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 12:21am
post #3 of 4

thank you for your response. It's for a birthday party and the design requires three layers. Anything larger as far as each layer, would be far too many servings as we are already at double :)  but this is the design of the little boy would like. It's a Batman cake so the tower look might work well :) only transporting a mile down the road so will cross my fingers!!  thanks!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 4:56am
post #4 of 4

When transporting put a 12" or larger piece of sturdy board down topped w/a piece of non skid rubber and set the cake on it.  Drive like a little old lady (LOL!). 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%