Help! Condensation Disaster On Crumb Coat Is There A Way To Save My Cake??

Decorating By nccakefan Updated 2 Jun 2016 , 3:35pm by nccakefan

nccakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 1:51am
post #1 of 15

Hi,

I am new to cake central and was hoping that my first post would be cooler than this. I am new to baking tiered cakes and am making an all butter buttercream two tiered cake for my child's awards ceremony on Thursday evening.

I froze each layer triple wrapped individually in saran wrap a week ago, Took them out of the fridge this morning, let them sit maybe 20 minutes, filled with chocolate all butter buttercream frosting and then crumb coated with all butter buttercream. I had to take my child to dance, so I threw them back in the freezer and they ended up staying there for two hours (yikes. Life happened).

I moved them from to the fridge around 6:00 (NC time), after taking them out to inspect, and when I peeked an hour later the layers were sweating!!

It is super humid here in NC, so I am sure that opening the fridge is not helping. My question is this: is there a way that if I leave them in the fridge overnight, then remove the tiers to sealed boxes tomorrow, they will be ok to frost with ruffles by tomorrow evening?

Sorry so long, thanks for reading. If you made it this far I could use some advice!!

grin.png

14 replies
nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 1:59am
post #2 of 15

I did not leave the plastic on (should have read all of the old posts on here better). I crumb coated still cool cakes, went to freezer ( no cover). Then brought out to inspect ( no cover) , then fridge (no cover). I am afraid to open the refrigerator again to try to cover them due to the humidity...

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 2:47am
post #3 of 15

Just let them sit  on the counter*untouched* for about an hour - it depends on the size of the cakes but the condensation will dry off.  Crumb coats should NOT be in the frig.  Once crumb coated they should be allowed to sit at room temp so the coating dries.   

nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 2:52am
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the reply. :) So they are in the fridge now (uncovered). I was planning to leave them there overnight, then take them out in the morning. So you are saying I should leave them uncovered if there is still condensation in the morning? If by some miracle, there is no condensation in the morning, should I cover them until they come to room temperature?

Thanks for your help, I'm a little nervous.

:)

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 2:56am
post #5 of 15

Do you have a cake box to put them in?  If so do that and leave them in the frig til morning.  When you do take out, leave box closed for about an hr and th ere should be no problem.  It may take longer as I am not familiar w/NC humidity :)  Do not cover w/plastic.

nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:04am
post #6 of 15

I guess it can't hurt to open the fridge and let more humidity in if they will be in there all night. I don't have a cake box that is fully closed in. The front is open and there is  a piece of plastic that i am supposed to tape in the front(last time I am ordering THAT from amazon), will that work? Otherwise, I have a large plastic bag that wouldn't touch the sides of the cakes(is that why you said no plastic so it wouldn't touch)?

Once again, thanks for your help, I am so new to this

kakeladi Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:45am
post #7 of 15

Use either just so it's lightly covered  but do not uncover in the morning for at least an hour.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:58am
post #8 of 15

I'm sorry, my first post disappeared! Looks like you got good advice so I won't repeat it lol

nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 11:24am
post #9 of 15

Thank you!! I covered them in the fridge like you suggested last night. This morning there is no condensation, yay! How long until I can decorate them once I remove them (and leave them covered ) from the fridge? They are 3 layers each (about 6 inches in height and 6 inch and 10 inch rounds).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 11:49am
post #10 of 15

You can decorate them when they're cold, or leave them out until any condensation that forms this time goes away. As long as you don't touch the cake while the condensation is on it it will dry off, usually.

nccakefan Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 3:59pm
post #11 of 15

Hi again. The cakes have been outside the fridge (covered) for 4 hours. The big one is still fine, no condensation, but the little one came out of the fridge with some condensation and still has condensation. Should I try uncovering it and using a fan to dry up the rest of the moisture beads on the little one? I would really like to get the buttercream ruffles on these babies today.

I am not sure if 4 hours is long enough to get them to room temperature before decorating.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Jun 2016 , 7:56pm
post #12 of 15

This is probably too late, but yes, uncover it :)

nccakefan Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 2:30am
post #13 of 15

[postimage id="4048" thumb="900"]                            Thanks for all of your help new CC friends. This is how it turned out. I am NOT refrigerating it.satisfied.png...now to find a box...

kakeladi Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 5:05am
post #14 of 15

Hey, not bad.   Lots of work ha?  Sorry we didn't see you follow up ?s but it looks like it all turned out o.k.  Not sure why you need a box....I may be the only person who does but I just make sure my car is cleaned and deliver tiered cakes unboxed.....just did a 3 tier b'day cake this past weekend that I transported like that some 35 miles and everything went great.

nccakefan Posted 2 Jun 2016 , 3:35pm
post #15 of 15

Good to know, I always wondered about traveling without a box. Maybe I will throw down some clean towels around it just in case.

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%