Customer Wedding Cake Complaint...not Sure How To Respond?

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 30 May 2016 , 8:54pm by -K8memphis

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 29 May 2016 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 12

So, I have been in business for over 3 years now and feel pretty confident in all of my recipes due to reviews and customer comments.  I delivered a wedding cake (single 6" tier cutting cake) along with cupcakes on Friday evening for a wedding.  I just received an email from the groom and here is what it says...

"Wanted to get back  with you. the cupcakes was the best so thank you. The cake on the other hand was no,t we were very unhappy with the cake. the taste was not like the tasting  we had.  did not have enough filling just me and my wife was very very unhappy with the cake I would like to know your feedback"

This is my first customer complaint and I want to be sure I handle it in a professional way.  The first thought that crossed my mind when I read this was..."He's wanting his money back".  Let me just give you a little background...When the couple came in for a tasting, they had elaborate plans and then they discovered how much it would cost.  I could tell that the groom was not too thrilled.  After they received the quote, he contacted me and we scaled back the order.  He also stated he wanted to pick up the order because the delivery charges were too much (the drive would be an hour and 20 minutes one way for me).  I only charge $50 for delivery.  So, we decided he could pick up the order.  Then a day later he called and said the Bride insisted on delivery, so we added it back on.  

Anyway, I delivered on Friday and all went well.  Then I received this email today.  I have not changed my chocolate cake recipe since the tasting.  It is the same cake they tried.  The filling was raspberry preserves over cream cheese.  Again, same recipes.  I explained during the tasting that the preserve filling would not be thick.

So, do I offer a full refund for the 6" tier? Or no refund?  I don't want this complaint to follow me around...I am really sad that I got this complaint!  How should I respond?

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2016 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 12

i mean it sounds like filling will make them happy so i think i'd make them a small undecorated cake or a few cupcakes with gobs of filling and let it go -- or you can remind them that you said the filling would not be thick -- it's obviously come up before --

at your tastings do they get the fillings in separate cups and then pick and choose what they want?

or make two large cupcakes with a lot of the filling in there -- sounds easier than anything --

y'know just say, yeah i hate that you were disappointed even though we specifically discussed the amount of filling -- here i'll make you happy with blablabla

seems reasonable to me 

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 29 May 2016 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 12

A complaint about a 6" CUTTING cake?  Less than 24 hrs. after the wedding?  That's beyond petty. 

IF I offered them anything, I'd offer them 10% off a future order of $200, or less, or $20 cash now, take it or leave it. 

You arranged for a last minute delivery and they didn't like paying your price, so he's being small.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2016 , 10:46pm
post #4 of 12

"seems reasonable" meaning a reasonable fix -- 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 29 May 2016 , 10:54pm
post #5 of 12

I would not give him anything.  You told him there would not be a lot of filling, the end.  I would, very nicely, say I'm sorry you are not happy but I explained, there would not be a lot of filling, at the tasting.

Mr. cheapo is fishing for a refund.

HannahsMomi Posted 29 May 2016 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 12

That is what is so frustrating to me!  It is just a 6 inch cutting cake....

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 29 May 2016 , 11:11pm
post #7 of 12

The cake tasted good.  The only thing he's complaining about is the filling, which you for warned him about. Tell him to stick it...in a very polite way, of course :)

HannahsMomi Posted 29 May 2016 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 12

Thank you all for the responses!  I am feeling much better about it all now!  I guess I just needed a little support!  I'm going to send him an email telling him I am sorry that he was not happy with the cake, but it is exactly what he ordered at the tasting.  I will do this all in a very polite way of course (while I mumble under my breath).  Let's see how this goes!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 May 2016 , 2:14am
post #9 of 12

I want to know how the filling boy responded, but I also wanted to add that I wouldn't give them anything back for a 6" cake that's exactly what they ordered. Plus, no discounts for future orders because they'd be going straight onto the "no cake for you" list.

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2016 , 3:23am
post #10 of 12

but how are the different flavors offered to your customers at your tastings? those preserves can suck right up into the cake -- i get it that you use the same recipes but what about the presentation?

HannahsMomi Posted 30 May 2016 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 12

I will definitely let you all know how he responds!  I'm so glad I have this forum to get others thoughts!

-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2016 , 8:54pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @HannahsMomi on 23 hours ago

an email from the groom:

"Wanted to get back  with you. the cupcakes was the best so thank you. The cake on the other hand was no,t we were very unhappy with the cake. the taste was not like the tasting  we had.  did not have enough filling just me and my wife was very very unhappy with the cake I would like to know your feedback"

I have not changed my chocolate cake recipe since the tasting.  It is the same cake they tried.  The filling was raspberry preserves over cream cheese.  Again, same recipes.  I explained during the tasting that the preserve filling would not be thick."

~~~~~~

their complaint seems to be about not enough raspberry/cream cheese flavor like they had at the tasting -- this is legitimate complaint -- they haven't said anything about money --

as I said earlier you could possibly make them a satisfied customer if you put a little effort in that direction if they are not already po'd -- offer them something like they had at the consult -- 'not be thick' is different than 'not taste the same' and it also illustrates that it came up before for some reason...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%