Tips For Cake In Advance

Decorating By samho21 Updated 26 May 2016 , 2:40am by sweetceces

samho21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samho21 Posted 25 May 2016 , 8:03am
post #1 of 3

Hello, I'm making a small wedding cake for a friend but have to deliver it 3 days early because I'll be traveling to another wedding the same weekend. I've kept cakes in the fridge in a box wrapped in plastic for a few days with no problems, but would like some advice on the following:

- the cake will be covered in fondant (vanilla cake with white chocolate ganache filling) and will have a large gumpaste flower on the top. Will the flower be ok in the fridge (on the cake but the whole thing in a box and wrapped in cling film. I would hate for the flower to fall apart... 

- when assembling the flower, is it safe to use flower wires to insert into the cake? Or should they be wrapped first, or maybe to find a way to make the flowers without wires? 

- I'm also making a strand of pearls to drape over the top of the cake, would they be better made out of gumpaste or fondant? 

Any help would be appreciated, I'm really nervous, would prefer to be around for delivery but unfortunately can't.. 

Thanks! 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2016 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 3

there are so many variables to answer your questions fully it makes it hard to answer -- basically you need to test your processes and products to see how they perform under your specific conditions --

also the top flower would do best not refrigerated -- the cake should be protected from anything non-edible so slide wires into straws and secured the ends with icing or chocolate or something but that's along time for that to sit in the fridge --

anything like the pearls should be fondant + cornstarch + flavoring so they can be edible and fun -- but everyone does this differently-

best to you

sweetceces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetceces Posted 26 May 2016 , 2:40am
post #3 of 3

ive done wedding cakes almost a week in advanced while working at at very high volume bakery and would put almost all decor on the cake and then wrap is securly in cling wrap and as long as it was well wrapped it held up. for bigger decor such as a big gumpaste flower or such i usually let it dry until that morning of the event and put it on so that it didnt have a chance of getting ruined.

for the pearls i would  do a combo of gumpaste and fondant with a little more gumpaste then fondant. it makes it easier to work with and u should get a good final product. a tip for the pearls what i do to make them super shiny and pearly is i would put all my pearls in a bowl spray then with pearl dust and vodka mixed together with my air brush so they got a little sticky, then transfer them to a bowl with just the pearl dust and swirl them around in the powder. then id take them out and roll them in my hands to dust the excess off and they always came out shiny and beautiful

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%