Is This Shortening Hi-Ratio?

Baking By shanney54 Updated 4 Jun 2016 , 12:22am by shanney54

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 19 May 2016 , 5:17am
post #1 of 5

Hello all! My father works at a local restaurant supply store, similar to Sysco. I asked him to see if they sold hi-ratio shortening. They have quite a few different brands (Wesson, Sweetex), but none of them have hi-ratio. I bought a 3lb tub of CK hi-ratio shortening and they pretty much have the same ingredients. Only difference being that Wesson had soybean and palm oil and polysorbate 60, while CK had soybean and cotton seed oil without polysorbate 60. They both have mono- and diglycerides. I'm a little timid to make the purchase on the chance it's not hi-ratio since it's not on the label. Does Sweetex sell shortening that's not hi-ratio?

4 replies
radtech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
radtech Posted 19 May 2016 , 11:19am
post #2 of 5

Yes, I buy Hi-ratio Sweetex from Gordon Food Service.  It is sold in 50lb cubes so my sister and I splint it and it lasts us probably a year. 

amyoungbl00d5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amyoungbl00d5 Posted 19 May 2016 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 5

Yes that's it.i buy the 50lb block and break it down into 5lb blocks. Then I dont have trill out the giant cubes. Easier to manage.

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 27 May 2016 , 2:42am
post #4 of 5

Cotton seed oil was one of the things removed from Crisco when they RUINED it.

shanney54 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanney54 Posted 4 Jun 2016 , 12:22am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for the replies! My father surprised me yesterday with a box of Sweetex! It wasn't loaded correctly at the warehouse and melted a little, so he was able to buy it for CHEAP! $10!!! Off to experiment I go...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%