No Cake Flour, Can I Use All Purpose? Whats The Difference?

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 17 May 2016 , 1:51am by kristykgs

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 9

I have a recipe that i want to try but i dont have cake flour. I had read somewhere that if you dont have cake flour and want to use all purpose all you would have to do is add a little bit of baking soda. If this is true, does anyone know how much baking soda to add if the recipe is 1 1/2 cups cake flour? Thanks!

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 9

When I need "cake flour" I substitute one table spoon all purpose flour for one table spoon corn starch for every cup of flour. Works great for me.

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 9

@julia1812 ‍ Thanks! Ill try that. The only thing is i didn't understand how that is done exactly, So if my recipe calls for one and a half cup of cake flour how much all purpose flour and cornstarch would i need. Sorry...im a bit slow today, that went over my head lol. 

julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:43pm
post #4 of 9

Okay...take one and a half cups all purpose flour instead. Then take out one and a half table spoons from the all purpose flour and put one and a half table spoons corn starch into the (now almost) one and a half cups all purpose flour. Sorry! I don't know if that makes sense now? So basically use a flour bit replace some of it with corn starch. 

Some recipes call for baking powder, some for soda, some for a combination.  Just use whatever is indicated for that specific recipe.

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 7:58pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks! Yes now i got it! =) hehehe This particular recipe doesn't have Baking Powder or Baking Soda in it so im not sure ...

julia1812 Posted 16 May 2016 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 9

No raising agent at all? That's strange. ..

All my recipes have raising agents. Normally between 1-2tsp baking powder for about 6 cups of batter.

I think the best is to post the recipe here otherwise people won't be able to help.

SoniaMT Posted 16 May 2016 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 9

The Recipe is this

6.5 Tablespoons of clarified beurre noisette = (which is melted and browned butter)

1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla

2 Tablespoons  Orange zest

1 1/2 cups Cake flour

3/4 cups minus 2 teaspoons Cornstarch

9 large egg whites

1 1/4 cups Sugar

3/4 water

This recipe is a White Genoise recipe from the Cake Bible book. 

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 16 May 2016 , 11:44pm
post #8 of 9

I'm not sure if this is going to work. A Genoise or a sponge cake is very delicate because it relies on the lift of the egg whites for leavening. Cake flour is normally used because of its lightness. I've only seen cake flour used in these kinds of cakes but make sure and report back if it does work!

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 17 May 2016 , 1:51am
post #9 of 9

The recipe I use is from  Food.com  and Joy the baker

1. For every 1 cup of flour remove 2 Tbsp of flour.
  2. Now add 2 Tbsp of Cornstarch for every 1 cup of flour. ... 
  3. Sift 5-6 times and it's ready-to-use cake flour

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%