Fbct - Blending Into Background

Decorating By csilveira Updated 4 Oct 2005 , 6:59pm by froggyjustjumpin

csilveira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csilveira Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 9

I have read a ton of stuff about FBCTs on this website. But I still have a question. I made a transfer that is a tiny bit less than 1/4", but there is still some height to it. I'm putting it in the middle of the cake. I don't really want it to look like it's sitting on top of the cake.

How do I blend it in to the background? I edged it with the same color as I will be using to ice the cake.

I'm decorating this cake tonight. Any ideas?

Thanks!!!

8 replies
sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 9

You did what I was going to suggest. Outline edge with same color as icing on cake.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 6:24pm
post #3 of 9

depending on the size of the cake, you can do the whole top of the cake as a transfer. Or just a section, then i use viva towels and smoothe the edge into the rest of the cake. Of course this will only work if you are using the same color background as the cake is iced.

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 9

I've only done one FBCT, but I didn't want it 'standing' on top of the cake either, so I combined it with the upside-down icing method.

This may not be possible for you depending on the size of the cake and the size of your freezer, but it worked pretty well for mine. The picture is in my photos, the King of the Hill cake.

Good luck!

csilveira Posted 30 Sep 2005 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 9

Even icing around the edge with the same color as the icing is still going to leav the transfer sitting on top ( I think).

I am too afraid to try the upside method of icing. I am afraid that will mess up the transfer, but that is a good solution to get it flush.

I heard about doing the transfer the whole size of the cake. But it's too late for that one!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I will end up winging it (like usual). I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Viva paper towl technique for smoothing. Maybe I can blend it in somehow that way!

Thanks for the suggestions!

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 1 Oct 2005 , 4:45am
post #6 of 9

I did that for the Wiggles cake that I did. Look in my pictures. I frosted out around the transfer for a couple of inches before freezing. Do not frost the cake top before putting the transfer on. After it is flipped on to the cake, finish frosting the top. Make sure the transfer is defrosted and crusted before smoothing with a Viva paper towel. Be sure to be careful around the transfer as the paper towel will pick up the color. Just make sure you don't transfer the color on the paper towel to another area of the cake.
It wasn't hard and I liked the smooth top of the cake with the image inset into the frosting.
Hope this helps you if you have any questions please ask and I'll do what I can to answer them for you.
Froggy

tika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tika Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

When I did the Bratz cake I let it thaw down a bit then I put a border around it and it came out pretty good and that was my first time.

csilveira Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks Froggy. I used the half Criso, half butter buttercream recipe and the transfer never crusted on the cake. It just stayed kind of soft. If it crusted, I wouldn't mind trying to blend it with the Viva papertowel, but didn't dare attempt that since it was so soft.

I have to do a Madagascar cake now. I did the hippo transfer last night and had a tough time with her eyelashes. I won't be using that transfer I already made so I'm going to experiment with it. I'm going to try to paint them on after (while the transfer is still frozen in the freezer). Can I do that with watered-down icing with a fine tip brush? It's either that or buying the edible marker with the fine point. Not sure if either of these will run when the transfer thaws. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

froggyjustjumpin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
froggyjustjumpin Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 9

The humidity is so high and that is the reason you are having problems with crusting. Try putting a fan on it to help it dry a little.
I use a fine line paint brush to paint fine detail. If you mix the coloring with vodka, the vodka will evaperate faster. Some people use lemon extract.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%