Royal Icing On Fondant Figures

Decorating By ashleighmeow Updated 13 May 2016 , 5:59pm by ashleighmeow

ashleighmeow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashleighmeow Posted 12 May 2016 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 5

How does everyone feel about using royal to pipe details onto a fondant figure? 

FYI this is my first conversation! yay! :]

4 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 May 2016 , 7:12am
post #2 of 5

Hey and welcome to CC!

Sorry nobody responded to your thread yet. I'm not sure what exactly you're planing to do.

Generally yes, you can pipe with RI on a fondant figure. Most of the time I actually make them entirely out of fondant/gum paste. So to have a situation where I would use RI...not sure. Or do you mean piping on fondant covered cakes or writing on fondant plates?

Maybe you could be a bit more specific. ..

ashleighmeow Posted 13 May 2016 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 5

Specifically, i'm making a mermaid but want to add jewelry/tattoos to her. 

Thanks!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:53pm
post #4 of 5

I can't tell you wants right or wrong...guess there is non anyway. I'd do juwelry out of isomalt or gum paste, depending on what look you're going for. And for tattoos I'd use an edible marker or paint them on with a very fine brush and food colouring gel (diluted with alcohol). But like I said...that's my way. I use royal icing for piping onto a cake or to make details like roses, snowflakes etc that dry first before they go on a cake. That's because I'd be afraid I'd brake them off while working on a figurine which you touch a lot.

ashleighmeow Posted 13 May 2016 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 5

oh yes. you're very right. i guess i forgot about isomalt because it won't be very much. Thanks for your ideas and input :]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%