Crusting Vanilla Buttercream That Is Not So Sweet Recipe In Need!

Baking By yjflores1 Updated 9 May 2016 , 10:55pm by yjflores1

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 7 May 2016 , 4:25am
post #1 of 18

Hey guys I use Wilton recipe to make buttercream because its super easy to me and it goes a long way. I use it for all my cakes including fondant cakes. I've tried making buttercream with butter but it never turns out good idk what the heck I'm doing wrong . I've gotten some complaints that its to sweet eventhough I add salt to it! I do mostly fondant cakes so I like for my buttercream to crust does anyone know of a recipe that uses actual butter and crusts but is NOT  so sweet???? Thank you!

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 7:51am
post #2 of 18

add some white balsamic vinegar like a tablespoon or two - remove same amount of liquid

or use buttermilk for the liquid

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 7 May 2016 , 11:05am
post #3 of 18

I love using flour icing not too sweet at all and so easy to make but the only problem is it not very firm so I had the idea of mixing flour icing and buttercream together, best of both!! HTH

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 18

it's good stuff -- i used it exclusively for a couple decades on my cakes - but i never thought to combine it -- great idea

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 7 May 2016 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 18

Years ago, I used this recipe.  Not as sweet and crusts great.  I still use it fir air dried buttercream flowers.

Decorator's Icing

In the bowl of your mixer sift together:

2 pounds powdered sugar, 1/2 cup cake flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Add 1 1/2 cups vegetable shortening and 1/3 cup near boiling water.

Mix on low to combine then mix on medium....add a little more hot water as needed and mix to reach desired consistency.

Mix in 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring and 2 teaspoons vanilla.

Any leftover icing can be stored about 1 month in the fridge.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 7 May 2016 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 18

I too use cooked flour frosting. Not overly sweet. I add 1 cup of powered sugar and some meringue powder to the recipe. Pipes better and crusts faster. Here's the recipe I use:

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://leelabeanbakes.com/blog/frosting-filling/even-better-cooked-flour-frosting/&ved=0ahUKEwjct52-nMbMAhVHmh4KHa89A1wQFgggMAE&usg=AFQjCNEclCmCLpIIjADhSSejfMDyNwWPtw

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 18

jchuck -- if you combine the flour with the sugar you remove all possibility of it lumping then add the milk and cook it

jchuck Posted 7 May 2016 , 7:05pm
post #8 of 18

K8memphis

That's exactly how I do it. Sugar & flour in the pot. Then slowly whisk in the milk. I use rice or almond milk. Comes out great every time.

You can also do 1/2 & 1/2 butter and shortening if you wish.

-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2016 , 9:57pm
post #9 of 18

oh good -- you're right it's the best stuff -- the recipe in the link says to add the flour to milk and beat it to get out the lumps -- that's a pain huh -- but i'm glad you got it right -- like i said i used this for my weddings cakes from the 70's so i feel a little mother hen about it -- hahaha

i used to freeze the cooked part -- it never really gets hard and just pull it out when i want to beat the soft butter & vanilla to the frozen cooked part -- very user friendly -- easy to smooth on the cake and get nearly flawless -- it's cool it's made such a come back -

i raise my coke to you and proclaim "here's to lumpless easy icing -- best to you"

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 8 May 2016 , 4:02am
post #10 of 18

Wow Jeff_Arnett, I have never seen a recipe like that one with uncooked flour.  It sounds like a good one to try with Russian flower tips.  

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 8 May 2016 , 10:21am
post #11 of 18

You can add about 3/4 tsp. of lemon extract.  Does not affect the taste, just kills some of the sweetness.  No lemon taste at all.

jchuck Posted 8 May 2016 , 8:03pm
post #12 of 18

K8memphis

Would have answered your post sooner, but when I clicked on the link for CC on this discussion in my email, your posts weren't here?? Weird.

My Mom made this icing all the time growing up. Had forgotten all about it until a caker friend began to use it. I never thought about freezing the flour slurry mixture. Great idea. Gonna try that. Thanks for the tip K8...

shellbell181 Posted 9 May 2016 , 11:38am
post #13 of 18

I've just made up a batch of half buttercream and half flour icing and OMG it's amazing just thought id jot down the recipe I live in the uk so sorry the recipe is in grams and not cups!!

4 1/2 tablespoons flour

240ml milk

200g granulated sugar

1 vanilla pod or paste or essence

300g salted butter

150g icing sugar

Put flour, milk, vanilla and granulated sugar in a pan bring to the boil keep storing and boil for 2-3 minutes, should turn into a thick slurry!! Stick in fridge or freezer till absolutely cold.

Now put the butter (room temperature) in the mixer and mix for 6-7 minutes until lighter in colour and fluffy, now add icing sugar and whip lots and lots again 6-7 minutes now add the cooled slurry into butter and whip some more!! 

Honestly it's so creamy, light not too sweet 

jchuck Posted 9 May 2016 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 18

It is a light and fluffy icing isn't it!! Pipes beautifully...and tastes wonderful. Once cakers have tried it, they are Wowed. Personally, I  think tastes better than Swiss/Italian meringue buttercream. And absolutely much less work with perfect results every time.

shellbell181 Posted 9 May 2016 , 12:55pm
post #15 of 18

I really don't understand why it's not that common and lots of people have never even heard of it, it's amazing stuff and pretty cheap to make aswell!!!

jchuck Posted 9 May 2016 , 1:32pm
post #16 of 18

shellbell181

This recipe is really, really old. From 2nd World War. My Mom told me they made this with 100% shortening when butter was rationed. Or 50/50...and sometimes with the dreaded margarine!! Didn't hold up as well with margarine, but enough to cover a cake quickly for a after supper dessert. And of course, sugar was rationed also, and you only needed 1 cup. So very economical to make.Then when they could get butter...it was all butter all the way. You'll see versions of this recipe in 1940's cookbooks. 

cakingandbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakingandbaking Posted 9 May 2016 , 9:44pm
post #17 of 18

This recipe is delicious but not as painfully sweet as some buttercreams. I think I got it off here but I don't remember who the original poster was.

½ cup salted butter

½ cup veg shortening

1 lb confectioners sugar

1/4 tsp. salt

1 tsp. vanilla

3-4 oz heavy whipping cream (I used 3 oz last time)

1 tbsp. meringue powder

Cream shortening and butter until fluffy.Add sugar, and cream until well blended.

Add salt, vanilla, meringue powder, and whipping cream.

Blend on low until moistened.

Beat on high until icing is fluffy.

Add more confectioners sugar, if desired, for a stiffer consistency.

Must be refrigerated; it will keep for up to 5 days.

yjflores1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yjflores1 Posted 9 May 2016 , 10:55pm
post #18 of 18

Thank you everyone!! Everyones words were very helpful ! :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%