My Red Devil Cupcakes Are Coming Out Brown. Help Please. Thanks In Advance :)

Baking By seashelleybell71 Updated 11 May 2016 , 9:12am by hep275

seashelleybell71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seashelleybell71 Posted 6 May 2016 , 2:58pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there.

I live in the uk so my recipe is butter not cooking oil.

I use Lurpak butter which I'm hoping is the whitest spread out there. But, alas my red devil cupcakes are coming out more of a brown dirt colour.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong please? Have tried Wilton red.

Thanks in advance

Michelle

12 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 May 2016 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 13

Is you recipe for Red Devil or Red Velvet? Typically, Red Devil is a chocolate cake (so it would be brown) while the Red Velvet has minimal cocoa but lots of red food coloring (so the cake should be red). 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 May 2016 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 13

yes i was confused too and i've only known red devil as red devil's food fwiw anyway...

seashelleybell71 Posted 7 May 2016 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 13

Hi. I think that's where I'm going wrong. I'm trying to make Red Velvet cupcakes but using a Red Devil recipe. Could somebody be kind enough to give me a Red Velvet recipe please that's not complicated and has ounces as the weight and not cups? Thanks in advance. Michelle

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 7 May 2016 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 13

i made red velvet cupcakes using the Hummingbird Bakery recipe.  They were lovely but for some reason the recipe wasn't so successful when I made it as a sandwich cake.  I used Dr Oetkers red food colouring - think the recipe says about 30 or 40ml.  Have a look here https://hummingbirdbakery.com/blog/2015/02/step-step-red-velvet-food-colouring/

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 7 May 2016 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 13

I just made "Baking with Dan" red velvet cake recipe (he also uses it for cupcakes) and it is divine!  AND, his recipes are in grams and oz's.

seashelleybell71 Posted 7 May 2016 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 13

hep275. Thanks for that, but there's no recipe.

Jinkies. Thanks for that, but it's not red velvet it's devil's cake.

Jinkies Posted 7 May 2016 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 13

I just made a red velvet cake this weekend using a recipe by Dan Langan (bakingwithdan.com).  It's a super easy recipe using weights and it was divine, came out perfect!

Jinkies Posted 7 May 2016 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 13

Oops!  I didn't think my last post took, I didn't see it there :/

Anyway, look again, there is also a red velvet cake recipe.  He has both :)  

Jinkies Posted 7 May 2016 , 11:31pm
post #10 of 13
hep275 Posted 8 May 2016 , 6:59am
post #11 of 13

Quote by @seashelleybell71 on 8 hours ago

hep275. Thanks for that, but there's no recipe.

Jinkies. Thanks for that, but it's not red velvet it's devil's cake.

That's odd cos the recipe is there when I click on the link I'd included....but as others have said on the forum it seems to be doing odd things with links and photos.  Here's the Hummingbird Bakery recipe.

Ingredients

• 60 g unsalted butter at room temperature
  • 150 g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 20 g cocoa powder
  • 40 ml red food colouring
  • ½ tsp vanilla extract
  • 120 ml buttermilk
  • 150 g plain flour
  • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 1½ tsp white vinegar
  • 1 x 12-hole cupcake tray, lined with paper cases
  • 300 g icing sugar, sifted
  • 20 g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 125 g cream cheese, cold

Method

• Preheat the oven to 170°C/325°F/gas mark 3.
  • Put the butter and the sugar in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) and beat on medium speed until light and fluffy and well mixed. Turn the mixer up to high speed, slowly add the egg and beat until everything is well incorporated.
  • In a separate bowl, mix together the cocoa powder, red food colouring and vanilla extract to make a very thick, dark paste. Add to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly until evenly combined and coloured (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Turn the mixer down to slow speed and slowly pour in half the buttermilk.
  • Beat until well mixed, then add half the flour and beat until everything is well incorporated. Repeat this process until all the buttermilk and flour have been added. Scrape down the side of the bowl again. Turn the mixer up to high speed and beat until you have a smooth, even mixture. Turn the mixer down to low speed and add the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar. Beat until well mixed, then turn up the speed again and beat for a couple more minutes.
  • Meanwhile, make the frosting by beating the icing sugar the remaining 20g of the unsalted butter together in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment (or use a handheld electric whisk) on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Add the cream cheese in one go and beat it until it is completely incorporated. Turn the mixer up to medium-high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least five minutes. Do not overbeat, as it can quickly become runny.
  • Spoon the mixture into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely. When the cupcakes are cold, spoon the cream cheese frosting on top.To make a red velvet cake instead, double the quantities below, divide between three 20-cm cake tins and bake for 25 minutes at the same oven temperature.

seashelleybell71 Posted 8 May 2016 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the recipe Jinkies. But in the UK we don't tend to use oil just butter or margarine. 

Thanks for the recipe hep275. I've looked on the Asda website and I'm given the option of White Balsamic Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar or Distilled Malt Vinegar. Any idea which one I need please? Thanks in advance. 

hep275 Posted 11 May 2016 , 9:12am
post #13 of 13

hi sorry for delay - for some reason I couldnt see my post had actually posted.  I used tesco distilled vinegar - its clear, looks like a bottle of water and having had a closer look at the label, the asda equivalent is the distilled malt vinegar.  I like the recipe although it is a tad fiddly and not just a case of  bunging all the ingredients in together!  Good luck with it.  Helen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%