Phone Booth Cake

Baking By sweettreat101 Updated 5 May 2016 , 4:20pm by carolinecakes

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 5 May 2016 , 7:37am
post #1 of 5

I have a request for a Dr. Who cake for the end of the month. They want me to make the phone booth.  I'm having trouble figuring out what size I would need to make to feed 15 people and what kind of frosting would be good to cover the cake. I was thinking fondant but I'm not sure how difficult it would be to cover this kind of cake and if the fondant would be to heavy. I wouldn't want the cake to collapse as they are trying to get it home.

4 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:26am
post #2 of 5

3, 6 inch square cakes torted dowelled between each and stacked is the way I'd do it, with 5 inch boards separating the cakes and I'd use ganache. The servings would be generous here so is this for family or are you selling it?

It isn't going to collapse if its dowelled correctly so fondant would be fine and I'd panel it to emphasise the sharp corners of the tardis shape. Sounds like a fun project, I'm a hobby baker so it would be good if some of the pro's chimed in x 

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 May 2016 , 9:27am
post #3 of 5

3, 6 inch square cakes torted dowelled between each and stacked is the way I'd do it, with 5 inch boards separating the cakes and I'd use ganache. The servings would be generous here so is this for family or are you selling it?

It isn't going to collapse if its dowelled correctly so fondant would be fine and I'd panel it to emphasise the sharp corners of the tardis shape. Sounds like a fun project, I'm a hobby baker so it would be good if some of the pro's chimed in x 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 May 2016 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 5

Personally, I would make a 'base cake' and put a fondant/gp 3d phone  booth on it.  

Going with stacking the 3 sqs having each layer on a cake board will give ease of cutting besides stability to the structure  - lots of extra servings.  Be sure to charge for ALL of those servings.  As cakebaby said panelling it would make covering much easier and probably look better overall.  

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%