How Do I Make The Top Part Of This Cake!?

Decorating By SoniaMT Updated 28 Apr 2016 , 5:15pm by SoniaMT

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 5

Help! My friend wants this cake for her sons bday next month. It look pretty easy to do, the only thing i need help with is the top part. The lid is slightly open and im wondering did they put something under the cake to hold id up like that or is it just the small lego pieces that are holding it open. Im thinking there must be something under it. If so what advice would you guys give to get the lid to look like that. [postimage id="3721" thumb="900"]

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 5

I would suggest the 'lid' is a 2" layer of cake on a cake board the same size all covered completely w/fondant, then two dowels hidden by the lego toy pieces help hold up the lid.

SoniaMT Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 2:00am
post #3 of 5

Great idea! Yes i can totally see how that would solve the problem in my head! lol

Thanks! Also, im new at this. I dont really sell my cakes i do them for fun and for family. She insists on paying me. I dont even know how much a cake like this would cost. Any ideas? And do you think this would look better on a 8inch 4 layer or 9 inch?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Apr 2016 , 6:13am
post #4 of 5

I would do 8" rounds.  As for paying - add up ALL costs involved - ingredients, boards, box, any special equipment you need to get and at least double that figure.   I know others will tell you much more is involved in how to go about figuring out pricing but for one cake I think that would do it.  Don't be shocked to find it probably will run around $75-$100.

SoniaMT Posted 28 Apr 2016 , 5:15pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! Yes, i did the calculations and it came up to 110 dollars. Im not sure if i did it correctly but i feel that is a bit much for the cake. However it does take time to make it. She's a friend so i dont know if ill charge that much but at least i know roughly how to calculate everything now. Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%