Ribbons

Decorating By carrotcake1 Updated 26 Apr 2016 , 10:19pm by kakeladi

carrotcake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrotcake1 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 10:13am
post #1 of 6

I am decorating a wedding cake and the sides of the middle layer is to be covered with buttercream ribbon. It should look like it is one long ribbon going around and around the cake. The top of the ribbon needs to tip out away from the cake just a little. My problem is that the top edge of the ribbons tend to curl downward - I need them to stand up straight. Is there a firmer recipe that I should use or is there something I can add to my frosting to achieve this. I have never worked with merangue powder or gum paste or anthing like that - I am just an amateur.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 6

It sounds like your b'cream is a bit too thin.  If your icing recipe uses liquid, reduce the amount.  Also, to make b'cream 'air dry' use less fat (butter or shortening). Depending on the recipe it could be as much as 1/2 cup.  What is the recipe you are using?   Meringue powder really doesn't help that much.  Other's say add cornstarch but I can taste it.  You can always increase the amount of flavoring used to try to mask it.  

carrotcake1 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 6

my Mom's recipe that we have always used is: 1 c crisco, 2/3 c water, 1 tsp salt, 1tsp flavouring, 2kg (2.2 lbs) icing sugar. I probably added an additional 2 cups of icing sugar to make it stiffer. I'm afraid if I add more sugar it may dry and crack and fall off. I only make 1 cake or so a year, usually as a favour for a friend or relative. Would you suggest another recipe?

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 2:54am
post #4 of 6

Definitely too much liquid.  Reduce it to 1/4 cup.  The extra sugar should have helped but would take some time to absorb the excess water . (maybe a couple of hours)   You could try this one:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   Read the whole recipe.....at the end is how to make it crusting.   It's a great recipe for decorating.  OR use yours but instead of water add several Tablespoons UNflavored yogurt along w/the 1/4 cup water.  Your recipe does not have near enough flavoring.  In addition to reducing the water increase the flavoring - use 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring and 1/4 teaspoon almond or lemon extract.  Another thing that might help you is to beat the icing up to 10 minutes on low.

carrotcake1 Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 11:23am
post #5 of 6

I am so thankful I found this site - I was getting so stressed and didn't know who to ask for suggestions!!!! I love the sound of adding yogurt - I'm thinking it will give the taste of cream cheese frosting. Thank you, thank you, thank you :)

kakeladi Posted 26 Apr 2016 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 6

carrotcake - glad to help out.  For several years I used yogurt - but just a couple of tablespoons.  I guess one could use up to 1/4 cup in *any* ABC as long as the liquid called for is reduced that amount.    I even had a student who absolutely HATED! yogurt and her husband could not understand why she sent him to the store for some until she told him "Lynne said to use it in the frosting" :)    As for it giving a taste of cr ch - not so sure about that but in several other threads on here several people has suggested using white vinegar to achieve that instead of using cr ch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%