How Do You Pipe Your Cupcakes Like This?

Decorating By qchau Updated 25 Apr 2016 , 8:37pm by qchau

qchau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qchau Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 5

[postimage id="3705" thumb="900"]Sorry for the dumb and newbie question since I'm sure all of you already know how to pipe like this but I find these swirls soooo beautiful!! Whenever I attempt to pipe like this the buttercream just falls flat and not swirly like the one in the picture. I use the Wilton large open star tip and still to no avail :(

4 replies
GeminiBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiBaker Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:53pm
post #2 of 5

Either you don't have the right tip, or the buttercream isn't stiff enough, or both. 

Cakes_and_Faith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakes_and_Faith Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 3:58am
post #3 of 5

It looks like the swirl is done with a 1M tip. It may just be like GeminiBaker said, the frosting is not stiff enough. Definitely needs to be a crusting buttercream to stand up like that.

jselle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jselle Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 5

[postimage id="3714" thumb="900"]

It looks to me like this is actually two separate swirls. See (where the arrow is pointing) how the buttercream curls under slightly? That wouldn't happen if it were one continuous swirl. If I were trying this, I'd start by piping a large central star with a 2D tip on the cupcake, surrounding it with a single swirl, and then starting a new swirl directly on top. I think a 1M would work too, but with the 2D I get a more defined swirl due to the more closed tip. Just my take on it.

qchau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qchau Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you jselle! That helps

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%