Friday Night Cake Club For 4/22/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 26 Apr 2016 , 9:24am by hep275

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 3:04am
post #1 of 39

Opening up another session of the FNCC!  ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help as they can.

Can't wait to see your cakes this week!

Cat

38 replies
catlharper Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 3:10am
post #2 of 39

Hi everyone! The past two weeks have certainly reminded me of two things...how much I love being a party planner and how insane it makes my home life. The home life has seriously sucked these past two weeks and I have gone to bed every single night simply exhausted. Add in some MAJOR family drama and you will understand why a trip to Tahiti sounds really, really good right now!LOL!

Tomorrow is the 2nd party...the combined party for our 5 year old grandson and our 15 year old son. The theme is Star Wars and we are going to have a lot of fun with the decor. Hopefully, after this very dramatic week, the actual party will be fun too. Anyways...here is the cake. White cake with lemon curd buttercream filling and MMF.  (my son is a Kylo Ren fan...thus the red lightsabers on the board.

[postimage id="3661" thumb="900"]

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 6:59am
post #3 of 39

@catlharper ‍ Wow, that is great. I'd love to have that cake.  You did a great job with it!

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 7:28am
post #4 of 39

I'd be crying if I had the energy! 3:30am here on the east coast. : (  I'm a home hobby baker who volunteered to make a free b-day cake for a friend's son's 7th b-day tomorrow. My first tiered cake! Big joint b-day party w/ another kid.

I've torted and filled both tiers with buttercream, frosted the bottom tier with baseball glove-colored buttercream (not easy color for novice me), and crumb coated the top tier. All this time thinking it's curious that my buttercream is crusting when this is my standard recipe and it's never crusted before. Didn't quite have regular consistency, but I chalked it up to this being the first warm, humid day/night of the season.

I just realized what I did. I doubled my buttercream recipe, like usual, but I forgot to double the butter!!!!!!!! AAAACKKKKK!! It's a meringue-type recipe, so I'm wondering if I'm going to end up w/ extremely crusty/crunchy meringue on my cakes! This is the King Arthur Flour's Fluffy White Buttercream recipe, posted here by krumbledkakes as Light & Fluffy Buttercream. Whip simple syrup w/ meringue powder until soft peaks, add extracts, powdered sugar, & butter. I love love love this frosting. But w/ only half the butter?!

This is only my second cake for a non-family member, and I'm beyond disappointed right now! Not sure what I'm going to do/redo/see what the frosting is like in a couple hours. UUGGGHHHHH!!!!! Thanks for letting me vent. : )

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 1:00pm
post #5 of 39
catlharper Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 2:43pm
post #6 of 39

@CharliesMom09 ‍ Oh no! I did that once, sort of...just the opposite. I had too much butter and not enough sugar. I'd totally frosted the bottom tier wondering the whole time why my frosting wasn't the right consistency and not crusting up at all! I ended up scraping off most of it (so when I was done it looked like a crumb coat) and starting over again in the mixer adding sugar to it till it was the right consistency, taste and crusted up. UGH. I SO feel your pain!  

I'm so sorry I wasn't online earlier...it wouldn't let me log in for anything. I'm thinking that's why there are so few people here today. Hopefully more will show up as the day goes on.

Cat

JodiCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodiCake Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 5:01pm
post #7 of 39

Love the cake @catlharper, I have a Star Wars cake booked for a client in August, not sure of his favorite character yet, but I think it may be Kylo Ren as well. 

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 9:39pm
post #8 of 39

@catlharper your R2D2 looks really good!  

This post isn't showing up on the home page and (for me at least) searching the forum only gets a "whoops!" may be why there is not a lot of traffic here today.  To find this I had to go to my profile to see last week's FNCC, grab your profile from there & then I could see this week's in your activity.  It's really too bad that there are still so many issues with this site.  It shouldn't be this difficult to navigate around......

Just one cake for me this week.  A co-worker requested a chemistry themed cake for his wife who also works in the department.  I struggled a bit to come up with an idea as I did a chemistry one for her last year too & she has seen my other chem ones & I didn't want to repeat something she has already seen.  Part of me wonders if she really wants a chemistry themed cake or if he requests that theme more for their 3 kids.  What I came up with was a cake shaped like an Erlenmeyer flask & then I added the flowers to make it more girlie for her.  The ranunculus are my new favorite to make after doing them last week.  I made the bottom of the flask pink using luster dust.  Picture to follow.

kstevens Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 9:39pm
post #9 of 39

[postimage id="3665" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 10:31pm
post #10 of 39

@catlharper ‍ I am in awe at your R2D2!

@CharliesMom09 ‍ oh sorry about that. I hope you got it worked out okay. 

@kstevens ‍ can't wait till your able to post the picture of the cake. I imagine it is beautiful and she will love it. 

I baked Chocolate chip cookies on Monday we had a rain day and it was a good day to bake. 

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 39

Love the cake Cat :)   

I am organizing the finishing design details on the wedding cake I am doing here is the sketch

[postimage id="3666" thumb="900"]

I have done a trial run of the flowers using recycled styrofoam dummies (and tins...LOL) 

This is what it looks like

[postimage id="3667" thumb="900"]

I am not settled with the top...i have to use sprays of the orchids and at least 2 catalayas....I need some ideas....any one of you talented sugar people HELP!!!...LOL

Your advice is much appreciated

Luv Anecia :)

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 12:10am
post #12 of 39

Not sure why my photo didn't load properly......grrrrr!  I'll try again.

[postimage id="3668" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 12:13am
post #13 of 39

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ your flowers are gorgeous!  What a lot of work..... i am a novice with sugar flowers so I can't offer any help.  I'm sure the final product will be beautiful :-)

CharliesMom09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharliesMom09 Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 12:30am
post #14 of 39

I had to go w/ my crazy too-much-sugar-not-enough-butter frosting. Funny thing is, people liked it! It was like a super sweet crusting American buttercream. I prefer less sweet meringue buttercreams, but not this crowd. I got lucky. : )  And hey, it was a free cake. 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 1:12am
post #15 of 39

Lovely cakes so far, always love seeing them!

Marian64 Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 1:29am
post #16 of 39

@CharliesMom09 ‍ glad the frosting turned out and that they loved it.

@kstevens ‍I absolutely love the Erlenmeyer flask and the flowers are a perfect touch.

@Creativeconfectioner ‍not much help on design, but they are amazing flowers. 

catlharper Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 5:22am
post #17 of 39

Thanks everyone! R2D2 was a huge hit at the party. I'll post a photo of it on the food table tomorrow. Just got off of work from my retail job. I'm toast! But I wanted to come in and see what everyone had come up with so far this week!

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ That wedding cake is going to just be stunning! Truly gorgeous!

@kstevens ‍ I SO love your bubbles!!! You managed to make a beaker look cute and pretty! LOL!

Off to bed with me. Hope to see more photos tomorrow!

Cat

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 7:20pm
post #18 of 39
catlharper Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 39

I keep getting notifications that posts are being made here but then, when I log in, I don't see them. The most current I see tells me that @Naivohw ‍ tired to post but nothing is showing....this is my most current notification but my notification shows at least part of the words of the post if not the photo. I know this is very frustrating but I am hopeful that they are working on the issues and things will progressively get easier!

Cat

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:31pm
post #20 of 39

@catlharper the same holds true for me as well.  Have you notified them of this issue?  Would it help it more than one person draws their attention to it do you think? 

I also can't create a link to your profile for some reason.... 

Naivohw Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 10:49pm
post #21 of 39

Thought I'd see if it let's me post words, for awhile I couldn't even log in to the site

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:00pm
post #22 of 39

@Naivohw I hope you are able to post your cake.

Naivohw Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:36pm
post #23 of 39

[postimage id="3703" thumb="900"]

[postimage id="3704" thumb="900"]

Naivohw Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:38pm
post #24 of 39

Yay it worked! At least it's showing up on my phone. So the first cake is an elephant themed baby shower cake. The second im very proud of. I've never done that much sculting on a cake, I carved it out of a 3 layer half sheet. And I've never covered a shaped cake like that in fondant :)

Marian64 Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:50pm
post #25 of 39

@Naivohw ‍ it was worth the wait. Love them both. You did an amazing job on carving that puppy. 

kstevens Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 11:56pm
post #26 of 39

@Naivohw ‍ your cakes look great! Glad you were finally able to post them.  Seems you have experienced the same issue I have in that you can't post text and images together.

Naivohw Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 12:13am
post #27 of 39

@kstevens Honestly I didn't even try posting texts and pics together because I knew it had been an issue in the past and I figured I shouldn't risk it :) I was aggravated enough already!

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 1:52am
post #28 of 39

I'm trying to post a photo but it's not letting me, even without text. Grrr! I really love the elephant cake and the beaker cake though!

hep275 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 9:17am
post #29 of 39

Loving the cakes people have been making. I've tried two or three times over the last couple of days to post pics and although it initially looks as though I have been successful, when i return to the forum there's nothing there!  Most frustrating.  I will try again but not going to tempt fate by adding to this post.

hep275 Posted 25 Apr 2016 , 9:20am
post #30 of 39

[postimage id="3711" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%