Using Ganache As A Crumb Coat

Decorating By hep275 Updated 24 Apr 2016 , 2:25pm by hep275

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 6

So, to make my husband's birthday cake a bit more special I thought I'd try using a chocolate ganache as a crumb coat under the fondant....my question is what sort of consistency should the ganache be?  I have used it once and to be honest it was a bit like puty. It also seemed to set really, really hard - was that right or does it sound as though I didn't make it to the right proportions?   Thanks,  Helen

5 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 4:53pm
post #2 of 6

If using milk chocolate the ratio is 2:1 choc to whipping cream.  If using white chocolate it is 3:1 ratio choc to whipping cream.

Nancylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nancylou Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 6

Ropalma's ratio's are spot on.  But depending on your climate you may have to adjust the numbers a bit.   I am in West Tennessee and during the winter and spring months I need a minimum of 3:1 for milk chocolate and 4:1 for white chocolate.  This changes during the summer and fall months to a minimum of 3.5:1 for millk chocolate and 4.5:1 and up to 5:1 for white chocolate.  If you go with dark chocolate, 2:1 seems to work year round.

Maybe somebody in a different climate will share their ideal ratios.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 22 Apr 2016 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 6

If you find that your ganache set up to a point where it is hard to work with simply warm it for a few seconds in the microwave, stir it well and repeat until you get a thick yet pliable ganache to work with. It will reset nice and firm once on your cake.

You don't want it runny, first of it all it may well split of you warm it too much and second of all it is really hard to work with. 

Also I would apply a thinn crumb coat, pop in the fridge to set, apply thicker coat of ganache before applying fondant.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 23 Apr 2016 , 5:10am
post #5 of 6

Should be like peanut butter for best spreading consistency.

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 24 Apr 2016 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for your replies.  I didn't realise I could reheat it but thinking about it, there's no reason why not to!   THe peanut butter consistency is also really helpful.  Thanks again.  Helen 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%