Recommended Cakes For Using Under Buttercream/ganache/fondant

Baking By newbeeatcakes Updated 21 Apr 2016 , 12:00pm by newbeeatcakes

newbeeatcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbeeatcakes Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 5

Hi

I have been using chocolate mudcake as a base for my cakes, and would like to try other recipes. Could you please recommend what cakes work best for you for using under -

a) buttercream frosting

b) ganache

c) fondant cakes

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 5

Since you are using mudcakes you must by in Australia.  I think most of us are in the US so what to suggest to you will have to come from your countrymen.   Do you know what most of us use here in the US?  A  light, spongy (what some would call) buttery, fluffy sweet creation/  Gosh, I've never tried to put it in words so it's hard for me to describe.  Do you have cake mixes there? I'm not sure what a mudcake is like = how would you describe it so I can tell how it's different from our cakes.

newbeeatcakes Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 1:06pm
post #3 of 5

Hi. I am based in Germany actually. But yes, I did get the recipe for mudcakes from Australian sites. Its kind of a dense cake which I particularly like because of its firmness (easy to handle while decorations) and longer shelf life. That said, I am getting bored of it and would like to try out some other well tested recipes that others prefer :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 5

Well  I mostly used cake mixes - my *original* WASC recipe :)     http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

There are many recipes on this site.  Why not just pick a couple and try them.  I'm not a scratch baker - try as I have for years I just never got the hang of it to produce a good one.  

newbeeatcakes Posted 21 Apr 2016 , 12:00pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks so much. I will try the WASC recipe :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%