Buttercream Wedding Cake Question

Decorating By SweetBees Updated 20 Apr 2016 , 12:15am by -K8memphis

SweetBees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetBees Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys! I don't normally post in the forums, I'm more of a lurker. So hi all! Props on everyone's incredible edible art! Anyway, to the question.

I need some advice here. I have a three tier, all bc bridal cake due Saturday at an outside venue. I use an all butter American bc, but have been known to revert to bucket bc (GASP!!!) when in a pinch. My bride is adament about having all bc. Here's my issue. I asked for the typical 3 hour ahead of time set up so I can stack, dowel, and pipe the top tier. I plan to transport the bottom two tiers already piped and stacked, then stack and dowel the top tier at the venue. Problem is - it is going to be an outside venue. In Alabama. In the Spring. The temp is going to be 77 degrees F with high humidity. 

So. How do I approach this without fear of sliding bc or total collapse? The fear of collapse comes in because she wants to store the cake inside, then have someone else (who isn't me) move the cake to the outside tables. I have some ideas, but none of them seem good LOL!! Any help or experience stories will be super appreciated! I'm concerned about solid freezing because even though I know it would thaw in time, I'd be afraid of sweating and drooping during the thaw because of humidity. Should I nix the all butter buttercream and use a different frosting altogether? Again, any and all help and stories welcome.

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 10:22pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't worry about it too much, 77 isn't that bad, the humidity would probably be more of an issue. Make sure that the cake is refrigerated until you go to deliver it, and that will slow down the softening up of the icing. I'd reduce the amount of butter by about half, but you don't have to get rid of it completely. Also, adding some meringue powder into the icing can help stabilize it for some reason. If you put a couple of tablespoons in when you add the sugar it can help it hold up. Since it will bu humid the icing is going to be absorbing moisture from the air, so maaaaybe you should make the icing a little stiffer than usual. If it starts out soft it will be more likely to get softer and that might increase your chances of having the icing get all saggy. Just tell them that they'd better move it like it's a fragile baby and put the fear of God into them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 7

thought of two things -- one is be mindful when you're icing to be extra sure you smash the icing onto the cake surface firmly -- and two is -- there are high humidity recipes out there -- you can add a quarter cup of flour to your icing -- i've used wondra flour -- it is super fine and was created to prevent lumps in gravy -- but if you take a lick of icing you might notice it feeling thick down your throat but if you eat it with a bite of cake you don't notice that at all -- so there's that --

good luck!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2016 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 7

I've done mostly b'cream cake and used 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter.  Had many outdoor displays w/high temps (over 85) but low humidity.  Not sure how much difference that makes - probably lots.  The one I do remember w/high humidity still didn't have any problems that I ever heard about.  I know the florist tore her hair out because the flowers wilted w/in minutes:)  I didn't use meringue powder, flour or cornstarch added - just my usual b'c.    Here's a pic of it:  http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1379797/marthas-tower-of-roses      

SweetBees Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 1:34am
post #5 of 7

Thank you guys! I've still plenty of time to test new frostings, so I'll definitely try the high humidity recipes as well as what you guys have suggested! I'm a fondant girl in a buttercream world, so I try to do as little bc as possible. I can do it, I just prefer the guaranteed crispness and cleanness of a fondant finish. 

SweetBees Posted 19 Apr 2016 , 1:35am
post #6 of 7

Wow! That is simply stunning!!! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Apr 2016 , 12:15am
post #7 of 7

%2B1.png beautiful work, lynne -- 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%