Spray Straight Onto Cake

Decorating By Nat74 Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 6:57am by Dar917

Nat74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nat74 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 9

Im making a cake and don't want it iced. Can i spray edible spray paints straight onto cake?

8 replies
Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 9

You could, but it might not look the way you might want. Uncovered cake is tan, brown etc., depending on flavor & degree of doneness. Spraying color over this isn't going to have much impact, color wise, unless it's dark spray color. Using lots of spray color could soak the cake, & that probably isnt going to taste good. And a light spray/shade won't give much color. Naked cakes, or unfrosted cakes, are trendy & popular now, why not leave it plain? I've never seen one spray colored, but maybe you could start a new trend! Perhaps you can trim cooked edges off sides of cake & spray with color & come up with something great. Wilton has a spray that seals crumbs onto cake, I've never tried it, as avoiding mysterious chemicals appeals to me, but it could help seal the trimmed edges. I guess it can't hurt to try, as long as you have some back up cake or some icing to cover if it doesn't work. Best wishes, good luck! And as always, post pics!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 9

shasha 'avoiding mysterious çhemicals appeals to me' too funny and too true

just for the test phase i wonder if you glaze it first -- technically not naked but idk just a maybe -- the color might (?) take better -- just a maybe -- let me/us know what you find out please --

best to you

Nat74 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 9

Its chocolate cake that i want to make black. 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:31am
post #5 of 9

You can spray it but when people eat it it's going to stain everyone's mouths black and taste nasty.

-K8memphis Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:31am
post #6 of 9

you could use black cocoa for a great result -- i have a photo in my gallery here and it is also a naked cake -- it tastes great -- i buy mine on amazon

-K8memphis Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:33am
post #7 of 9

and of course i flour the cake pan with it too so there's no white residue

Nat74 Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 12:35am
post #8 of 9

Thanks heaps everybody. Ill try the black cocoa i think.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 6:57am
post #9 of 9

You could also add black gel color to the batter; this one I saw recently uses both: http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2016/04/black-velvet-nebula-cake.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%