Cherry Amaretto Chocolate Cake Help!

Baking By SoniaMT Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 8:53pm by SoniaMT

SoniaMT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SoniaMT Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 6

Ok guys..im on a search to find a Cherry Amaretto Chocolate cake recipe. I dont even know if it exists but any tips on how to successfully make this flavored cake is greatly appreciate. I have a very rich chocolate cake recipe that i use as my base now i want to be able to incorporate the cherry amaretto flavor to it. I like the flavors to be light and not overly sweet. I haven't done much of infusing different flavors into my cakes. I enjoy more of decorating than experimenting with flavors, but i want to venture out and try so play with my flavoring as well.  How would i go about adding the flavors with extracts and oils. would it be best to add it to my cream fillings and icings or the cake batter itself? Any help is greatly appreciated. 

5 replies
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 6

This is just my opinion, but it really depends on what you have in your head that you want it to taste like. When I set out to do a new flavor cupcake, I always think about what I want the end product to taste like. Then I can proceed as to how best achieve that. For instance, I did an Almond Joy cupcake. I knew I didn't want any candy (which a lot of recipes use), but I wanted the end result to taste just like an almond joy. So I used a coconut almond flavor cake, make a marshmallow filling with lots of coconut/almonds and made a coconut frosting and sprinkled it with coconut flakes/almonds.

I think adding in the flavors to the cake would be wonderful; however, the chocolate might overpower it or it might not go with the fillings you are using. You have to decide where you want to taste it. i don't think you wan to much.

It might also take doing a couple of test batches with different flavors in different spots so you can see what taste the best.

SoniaMT Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Kristykgs ...I was inspired by the amaretto cherry ice cream with chocolate chunks. Absolutely loved the flavor. You are right, i dont want the chocolate to over power the flavor. I will have to do a couple of different batches to try it out. Any particular brand of extract or oils you recommend?  

craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 6

I would suggest replacing a 1/4 of your liquid with Amaretto (the real stuff) and go from there. It depends on how strong the alcohol is for how much you'll want to add, but don't replace all of the liquid or it could unbalance your recipe. My chocolate cake recipe calls for 1 cup of buttermilk, so I used 1/4cup of kahlua and 3/4 cup of milk. Came out fine. I also added a few tablespoons into my icing for extra effect. The ladies loved it!

As for the cherry part, I'm not sure, most cherry flavoring taste like medicine to me, so yuck unless it's made with real cherries. You could cook cherries down and do something like a black forest cake and put the crushed cherries on top of your filling (between the layers if that makes sense). I used cherry pie filling for my husband's black forest cake, but I had to make sure it didn't squish out too much (which it did, I love me some cherry pie filling!)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 6

As craftybanana2 said, use Amaretto as part of the liquid and for the cherry flavor use the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries &/ or just chop a few to add to the batter.  

SoniaMT Posted 15 Apr 2016 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks Guys! I know what you mean about the cherry tasting like medicine. I surely don't want that to happen.  Kakeladi...that's a great idea to use the liquid from the maraschino cherries! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%