Buttercream Cake With Fondant Decorations

Baking By suzie88 Updated 13 Apr 2016 , 9:59pm by kakeladi

suzie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie88 Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a buttercream covered cake, with fondant decorations.  I will be using Tylose glue to glue the fondant decorations onto the buttercream. I will be placing some Elmo faces, circles, and stars onto a 2 tiered cake.  The cake is needed early in the morning, so I have a few questions regarding the order of assembling the cake. 

After I frost the cake, should I stack it and let it sit in my fridge over night, and early in the morning put the fondant decor all over the cake?  Or can I stack the cake, and put the decor on immediately, and let the cake sit completely finished in the fridge over night (12-15+hours before the party).  This is what I would rather do, but I'm not sure how the cake will hold up, and how the fondant decorations will do in the fridge...

Should I put the fondant decor on the cake layers first, and then stack the cake?

Sorry for the questions!  I am new to this and this is one of my first really big cakes.  I would hate to have something happen last minute and ruin it! 

6 replies
TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 8:59pm
post #2 of 7

Hi Suzie88---I can't offer any advice on your situation.  Though I feel like I could have written this post.  I'm in a very similar situation with trying to figure out how to handle a buttercream cake with fondant accents.  I hope you get some input from the great people here that are experienced with this sort of thing because I'd love to know.  

Side note--I noticed you said you are using tylose glue to attach the decorations to the buttercream.  Do you think that will adhere/make the decorations stick better than just using buttercream as the glue?  I was going to use buttercream for the glue on mine but now I'm wondering if this will have enough sticking power.  

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 7

Hello there.   I always attach the decorations with a skim coat of buttercream to a chilled buttercream cake.  I always finish my cakes the day before delivery and I leave them in the fridge until then.

As far as the stacking/placing  on the decor order, it's up to you.  For something like fondant decorations, I like to stack 1st then add my fondant pieces.

Hope this helps you.  Good luck!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 7

Quote by @suzie88 on 1 hour ago

I am making a buttercream covered cake, with fondant decorations.  I will be using Tylose glue to glue the fondant decorations onto the buttercream. I will be placing some ...faces, circles, and stars on....The cake is needed early in the morning........should I stack it and let it sit in my fridge over night, and early in the morning put the fondant decor all over the cake?  Or...stack the cake,... put the decor on immediately, and let the cake sit completely finished in the fridge over night.  This is what I would rather do, but I'm not sure how the cake will hold up, and how the fondant decorations will do in the fridge... 

I have done it both ways.  I never used tylose glue - instead I just piped an open circle of b'cream on the back of the fondant items and stuck it on the cake,   It is important to pipe it as an open circle, (not a 'blob') as that creates a suction like action to hold it well.

Should I put the fondant decor on the cake layers first, and then stack the cake?   

............Don't recommend this, but I know others have.  Either way The finished cake should be boxed, then put in a plastic bag.  When removing from frig do not remove the plastic until it has come to room temp - usually about an hour.

suzie88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie88 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 7

I'm not really sure why I use Tylose, I guess someone just told me to do it. I've used it for putting fondant accents onto buttercream for a few cakes, but I really only had a couple of small decorations to add to the cake.  So now i'm curious why use Tylose vs. buttercream as glue?  Does one hold up better? Does it matter if my buttercream is a crusting buttercream?  

So, if I decorate the whole cake the night before, and deliver it cold the next morning, will the cake be fine sitting out on the counter the next day with the fondant accents?  They shouldn't slide off at all, unless its in sunlight outside right? 

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 7:43pm
post #6 of 7

No, it doesn't matter if it's a crusting buttercream.  I've done it with both a SMBC and a crusting ABC and both were fine.  They won't slide off unless the buttercream itself is melting off.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 9:59pm
post #7 of 7

..........if I decorate the whole cake the night before, and deliver it cold the next morning, will the cake be fine sitting out on the counter the next day with the fondant accents?  They shouldn't slide off at all, unless its in sunlight outside right? ..........

Everything should be fine.  Of course your weather might have a baring on it but unless it is 90+ humidity you should be fine.  I've delivered b'cream cakes in 90 degree weather but no humidity w/o a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%