Trying To Decide Between Two Cake Lifters....

Decorating By TurksandCaicos Updated 13 Apr 2016 , 6:57pm by TurksandCaicos

TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 6

I'm trying to decide between two cake lifters and can't quite make up my mind.  So I thought I'd ask here just in case someone has experience with one or both of these.   The models I am looking at are the Fat Daddio Cake Lifter/Jumbo Spatula and the NordicWare Cake Lifter.  

Both are comparable in price.  I was pretty much set on the Fat Daddio model after seeing the America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated reviews, then I saw the NordicWare one which seems equally nice.  It is also made in the US, which I like.  

Here are links for reference:

http://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Cake-Lifter-10-Inches/dp/B000237LPC/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1460489841&sr=1-1&keywords=nordic+ware+cake+lifter

http://www.amazon.com/Fat-Daddios-Lifter-Cookie-Spatula/dp/B0021ZSTG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1460490050&sr=1-1&keywords=fat+daddio+cake+lifter

5 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 6

Not what you asked but....

I got the Wilton one from Joanns.  I used a 50% coupon (which they always have) and got it for $5.  Works great.  Best $5 I've spent on cake tools.

Some tools, you get what you pay for.  For cake lifters, cheap is good.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 10:09pm
post #3 of 6

once again not what you asked but i think there's a theme running in this thread : ) (junkies started it!) 

this is about the largest one and it's $22 but it doubles as a cookie sheet that stays flat -- never warps in the oven which you can hardly put a price on right?

https://www.cooksdream.com/store/product/UBpcs15181.htmlhtml

however they have smaller ones i think there's a 10x15 that's under twelve bucks -- the one i linked to is 15x18 -- could move the biggest layer ever on that puppy -- but i mean i usually use just a random cardboard circle for this job when torting and filling --

then for stacking tiers i just pick them up with hands (used to anyhow) use an icing spatula to coax it up off the table voila

in my career i've never used a big cake spatula like that -- so can't opine on your original question --

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Apr 2016 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 6

but if i was gonna buy one online i'd get the nordic ware the other one is squared off a bit -- probably not a full 10" both ways -- i don't think you could go wrong with either one

Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 12:52am
post #5 of 6

I have the Nordic Ware one. Used it couple times and didn`t like it.  It is something about   about the handle.  I am using Wilton square one. 

TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I'm just beginning really at cake decorating and I really didn't know if i needed a lifter, as I only do this as a hobby or if family/friends ask me to make a cake for a birthday or something.   Though with my latest endeavor (2 tier cake with a 3 8-inch layers as the base and a 6 inch double barrel on top of that) I figured I need one.   

Natka81--that is a great point about the handle and something I hadn't considered until you brought it up.  I need to go look at the Wilton one now and factor that into my decision too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%