Cream Cheese Buttercream Has Strong Odor!!!

Baking By AmberDSouthard Updated 11 Apr 2016 , 7:48pm by AmberDSouthard

AmberDSouthard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmberDSouthard Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 10

Recently I have noticed that my cream cheese buttercream has a very strong almost offensive aroma to it. I never leave the icing unrefrigerated except for the time it take me to ice and decorate and my cakes are always refrigerated after being iced and are brought to room temp for serving. My recipe is 8oz cream cheese, 4oz high ratio shortening, 4oz butter, 1 tbsp non dairy creamer, 1 tbsp cream cheese emulsion and 2 lbs powdered sugar. Could it be I am using to much emulsion, it's not necessary to the recipe I just use it to intensify the cream cheese flavor. I plan on making my next batch without it to see if that could be the source of the smell because no one wants a stinky cake!!!!

9 replies
kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

I use a lot of emulsions, but cream cheese emulsions is one I do NOT use. I bought some - silver cloud and Loranns - and the odor put me off. It very well could be that. I am not sure, as there are other people on here who use it. Hope you get an answer.

AmberDSouthard Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you! I bet is that darn emulsion!!!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 9:39pm
post #4 of 10

I've never used an emulsion but make quite a lot of cakes with cream cheese frosting, including a no bake quickie cheesecake with loads of the stuff, never smell anything off it, I bet its the emulsion x

AmberDSouthard Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:22am
post #5 of 10

Definitely leaving it out of my next batch!!!

lisatipperoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisatipperoo Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 10

I'm betting on the emulsion too. Not sure what it is about it but I just don't like it! I also notice it with certain Butter emulsions. Not sure if these companies are changing their ingredients or what, but they smell chemical-ey. :-p

AmberDSouthard Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 4:37pm
post #7 of 10

I agree!

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 10

Instead of the emulsion, try adding a small amount (1/4 teaspoons to start with...you can always add more) of white balsamic vinegar.  It will enhance the cream cheese "tang" that everyone is anticipating when they bite into  a cake or cupcake iced in cream cheese icing.  You can also thin with a bit of sour cream or buttermilk if you don't want to go the vinegar route.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 10

yes what jeff said -- i just add it to regular american buttercream -- in place of some of the liquid -- no cream cheese at all -- it's wonderful and it can stay out all day long no worries

AmberDSouthard Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks Jeff an K8, I have never heard of that but I will definitely give a try!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%