Frozen, Thawed, Decorated, Fridge

Decorating By joeyww12000 Updated 9 Apr 2016 , 6:14pm by ypierce82

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 6:43am
post #1 of 4

I baked and froze a cake, unthawed 2 days later, iced and decorated it. The client picked the cake up but said the date of the party got changed. The cake will have been done for 3 days by the time it's cut into. Originally the party was going to be the next day so I told them you could just leave it in the box out on the counter or refrigerate it, just make sure it's room temperature before serving. After finding out its going to be three days I told them to wrap the box with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge. Wasn't sure what else to tell them at that point. I've heard a fridge dries out cake, but is that an iced cake where moisture should be locked in till its cut. I placed a fondant covered cake in the fridge for a couple of days before and it was super moist still. I'm confused on advice I've been given, or read about refrigeration of baked goods.

3 replies
cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 8:52am
post #2 of 4

An uncovered cake would dry out, but fondant and buttercream should seal the moisture in. Is this the same cake the other thread was about?

I have to say I was also confused but bowed to experience about refreezing perishables several times under domestic conditions.

I always freeze cakes, sometimes fully decorated cakes and they are always lovely but I have never fully thawed that cake on a counter and froze it again...and repeated the process....again..and again. I just wouldn't feel comfortable about it.

I must say I am looking with  suspicion now on restaurant desserts after learning my luscious dessert has possibly been in and out the freezer like a fiddlers elbow LOL!

I once forgot about the second tier of a birthday cake and it left in an unheated garage for ten days when it was discovered by my sons.

I came home to find them halfway through a pink fondanted cake with several pints of milk. I was horrified, it was delicious so I don't worry too much about a week in the fridge for our own domestic use.

(And that cake was previously frozen..only once tho)

joeyww12000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joeyww12000 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 4

Yes this was the same cake in the other thread. I put my son's birthday cake back in the freezer the night before his party after I had iced it. The next morning I put on the fondant. I wasn't to impressed when I cut into it. I assumed it was because I refroze it. Like you I'm not to comfortable doing it.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 4

I do not freeze and thaw several times, but I have never had an issue partially thawing, decorating, and putting it back in the freezer until the day before it is needed. I'm sorry that your experience wasn't so great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%