Friday Night Cake Club For 4/8/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 15 Apr 2016 , 8:38pm by LizzieAylett

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 12:16am
post #1 of 41

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, askf or help or provide help if they can! Hope to see lots of photos after our week off!

Cat

40 replies
catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 12:19am
post #2 of 41

Hi there!

I hope everyone had a really good "Spring Break" for Easter. For those of you who don't live in the USA, that's a period of time before/after Easter here where the kids get a week off from school. Lives are, indeed, crazy here for those who have kids at home full time during their week. Our kids not only got the week but an extra day on top of it so my son was home Saturday-Monday! We also had family come visit so it was fairly nuts around here.

No cakes this week but beginning the process of putting the finishing touches on the party planning. The first one is coming up in one week. I'll bake on Monday and start working on the details for the CARS cake. 

Can't wait to see what all of you came up with this past two weeks!

Cat

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 12:27am
post #3 of 41

Haven't made a thing this week @catlharper ‍.  Just happy to see the ice and snow almost gone so the mud will clear up and spring can start.  You sure had some nice ocean photos this week!

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 1:55am
post #4 of 41

[postimage id="3499" thumb="900"]

My first tall tier cake!!

I am especially proud of the sugar feathers....used glass cabochons as the flower centers :)

the center tier was marbled Black and white

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:00am
post #5 of 41

I only made one cake this week, a very simple beach themed cake. It will be traveling from here in Nova Scotia (Canada) to North Carolina for my boyfriend's sister's birthday.  The travel by car is why I had to keep it simple.

Last week I made two cakes, one for our end of year potluck in the Chemistry department and one for a Master Chef themed birthday. 

The university’s mascot is the Axeman. He is normally holding an axe over his shoulder but this is a chemist Axeman so he’s wearing his safety glasses & holding an Erlenmeyer flask. He’s drawn on gumpaste using AmeriColor gourmet writers. The method of splitting an image between two tiers so that it appears as a single image at the right angle was something I’ve been wanting to try for quite some time & I am happy with the outcome.  “Acadia Chemistry” is spelled out with elements from the periodic table. Most of the other elements from the tabe adorn the rest of the cake in a random fashion.  The cake flavors are indicated with fondant versions of labels that would be used in the labs to label chemicals. The students loved the cake. Hope you all do as well :-)

The Master Chef cake was for Anna who is a big fan of cooking shows & celebrated her 12th birthday with a Master Chef themed party.  It was a lot of fun to make!

Photos to follow since I never have luck posting text & photos.  Looking forward to seeing what everyone else has been up to.

kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:02am
post #6 of 41

[postimage id="3500" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:03am
post #7 of 41

[postimage id="3501" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:03am
post #8 of 41

[postimage id="3502" thumb="900"]

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 2:09am
post #9 of 41

Cat I just wanted to share an experience I had this week......been working hard toward the completion of a wedding cake due in May...( I work full time so I need to prepare in advance......the cake is 5 tiers with a sugar orchid cascade....one of the flowers I needed to do is the oncidium orchid.....I live in the West Indies and the cutter was not available locally so I ordered it but shipping sometimes takes a while......while browsing my local cake shop, I came across a Butterfly Orchid cutter and found the shape similar to that I ordered....so I took a chance and bought it,,,,thought at the very least if it did not work...I would have a new orchid cutter...so I have been practicing and am so very proud of the results....the Moral ......be not afraid to try something...you learn so much from the problem solving experience......here are my oncidiums :)

12936662_10153951587161900_5809708519460474841_n.jpg?oh=a6db2c9e34cdc7ab4e18016ece713602&oe=57BB373D&__gda__=1468522374_09d7864758c4b02a67909f51e9b5efc2      12985506_10153951584931900_3618318998514537222_n.jpg?oh=976b81541ba3ad90b3944d404e0c76a3&oe=57BC4C43

:)

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 3:30am
post #10 of 41

I haven't been here in a long time - I actually get very few requestsfor saturday cakes, but tomorrow my daughter's co-workers are throwing her a baby shower, because she is expecting twin boys at the end of May. A jungle-themed belly cake with leaves and vines all around the base and four little feet protruding from her tummy. But while I'm taking a break from work, I'm loving the pics that have been posted so far. kstevens, the beach cake and the Master Chef cake (I'm a big fan of those showsmyself) are just too cool for words, and Creativeconfectioner, your orchids are to die for. I'll probably be back next week (maybe with a picture, if I can get a decent - I desperately need a new camera), because her family and friends are having another shower for her. These babies have been a long time coming (9 rounds of IVF!), so everybody's ready to celebrate.

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 4:21am
post #11 of 41

No cakes for me this week and don't have any planned. Just stopping into see everyone else's cake. 

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ your cake is beautiful, but those orchids are amazing. Can't wait to see the finished cake in May.

@kstevens ‍ love all your cakes, but my favorite is the chemistry. Love how you used the elements to spell. Only flaw is I think your chemical label was wrong. I think the health risk may have needed to be a 4. All joking aside it is fabulous and the science geek in me loved it.

Enjoy the weekend.

cara1982 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cara1982 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 5:58pm
post #12 of 41

[postimage id="3504" thumb="900"]I'm loving all the cakes this week.

Just one special cake from me. It is for a friend and fellow cake maker, so a cake for someone who will appreciate the hours spent on it!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 8:26pm
post #13 of 41

Whoa, spectacular cakes this week! Every single picture is breathtaking! I made this Korean dress (hanbok) inspired cake for a 1st birthday.

[postimage id="3506" thumb="900"]

kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:31pm
post #14 of 41

@Creativeconfectioner ‍ your orchids & cake are beautiful!  Congrats on your first tall tier cake!

@Marian64 ‍ you had me worried when you said my chemistry cake had a flaw....thought I had messed something up without realizing it. Lol. The health rating is only two cause bananas are goid for you! Lol. Glad there is another science geek in the crowd to appreciate the chemistry.

@Marianna46 thanks for the compliments :-)

@cara1982 ‍ your cake is too cute!  Love the dog.

@Pastrybaglady ‍ very pretty cake & what a unique idea for a first birthday.

Now a question for everyone.... if a wedding cake is going to be the ony dessert do you base the servings on a 2x2" piece rather than a 1x2" piece that typically seems to be used for wedding cake servings?  Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :-)

kstevens Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:42pm
post #15 of 41

Oh, and another question regarding the wedding cake.  The bride wants three tiers (square) and about 150 servings.  If I go with 2x2" pieces the tiers will be something like 18, 14 and 10.  To me this doesn't look nice with such a big cake as the top tier.  Am I the only one to think this way?  Would you suggest smaller tiers for the cake & then include a slab cake to be cut to get the extra servings?  The wedding cakes I have done to date were for fewer people & smaller pieces meaning the top tier was only a 6" & I found it more pleasing visually.

LINDA7595 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LINDA7595 Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 10:57pm
post #16 of 41

Perhaps you could put some separators in between the two bottom tiers to break up the scale.  

catlharper Posted 9 Apr 2016 , 11:18pm
post #17 of 41

@kstevens ‍ I agree...those cakes look weird to me unless they have some sort of large topper. I think I would talk to her about smaller tiers with a cutting cake. Maybe 8/10/14?  If she wants to stick to her original request then maybe you request a bouquet to be placed on the top of the cake to help balance the look? Or extra flowers to go around the topper if they have one? 

The cakes this week are amazing! Of course I'm partial to the beach cake...but love the puppy in the bag cake as well as the chef cake. 

I had a laugh last night...was at Target (my side job) and we had a little meeting (happens every night) and at the end of it they said there was going to be a Bake Off. I laughed and said I should excuse myself and explained it may not be fair for a professional to compete. They seemed delighted that I could make something that would knock the previous champion out of the water! LOL! Challenge accepted. I'm not even sure what the prize is but it falls on a week I don't have another cake so the challenge is definitely accepted! LOL!

Cat

Marian64 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 1:38am
post #18 of 41

@cara1982 ‍ I love you dog in a purse cake, bet your friend loves it.

@kstevens ‍ you are right the bananas would rise the health value, my mistake. Good luck on that wedding cake. I agree that a large topper and lots of flowers. I thought the 8" on my sons was to much cake, but they had lots of flowers and it turned out wonderful.

shellbell181 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellbell181 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 3:27pm
post #19 of 41
Marianna46 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:48pm
post #20 of 41

Definitey lovely cakes one and all! Even though the weekend is almost over, not to mention Friday night, I just wanted to say one or two more things. kstevens, I agree that a big topper would probably take care of the problem. Catlharper, go for it - and please don't forget to post pictures of your entry here.

Hahaha - Marian64, our screen names are so much alike that I have to stop myself from saying, "But I don't remember posting that!" every time I see something of yours. Of course, the fact that the 46 in my name is my birth year will go a long way towards explaining why that happens. It's

Marianna46 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:48pm
post #21 of 41

Definitey lovely cakes one and all! Even though the weekend is almost over, not to mention Friday night, I just wanted to say one or two more things. kstevens, I agree that a big topper would probably take care of the problem. Catlharper, go for it - and please don't forget to post pictures of your entry here.

Hahaha - Marian64, our screen names are so much alike that I have to stop myself from saying, "But I don't remember posting that!" every time I see something of yours. Of course, the fact that the 46 in my name is my birth year will go a long way towards explaining why that happens. It's

Marianna46 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:55pm
post #22 of 41

great to be 70 (especially when you consider the alternatives), but I do have my senior moments. By the way, the "s" on my keyboard isn't working, so I have to cut and paste one every time I need it, which then messes up the typeface and size of everything else. That's not - I repeat NOT - a senior thing. The double posting's not my fault, either. In case you were asking.

Marian64 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:56pm
post #23 of 41

@Marianna46 ‍ lol I thought the same thing and 64 is my birth year. 

Marianna46 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 4:59pm
post #24 of 41

I rather thought so - what can I say? Great minds!

shellbell181 Posted 10 Apr 2016 , 7:40pm
post #25 of 41
kstevens Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 12:32am
post #26 of 41

@shellbell181 ‍ it looks like you're having issues getting your post up.  I had troubles the other week & it was when I was trying to post images as well as text. What worked for e was to post my text followed by my images.  Not sure if that is any help to you or not.

kstevens Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 12:35am
post #27 of 41

Tahnk you all for your input on the wedding cake.  I think I'll do a mock up to accompany my quote in hopes of swaying her towards a cake with a smaller top tier or to maybe add a forth tier.

Marianna46 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 1:49am
post #28 of 41

Aha! I thought it was just me, but i haven't been getting your posts either, shellbell181. Hope you can get that fixed with no problems.

shellbell181 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:36am
post #29 of 41
shellbell181 Posted 11 Apr 2016 , 6:39am
post #30 of 41

I did just try posting just the pics but still not worked

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%