Stained Glass Look

Decorating By wowgirl Updated 8 Apr 2016 , 9:32am by Cher2309b

wowgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wowgirl Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 5

I saw a cake on Pinterest that had stained glass windows.  It looked like it was painted on modeling chocolate or maybe fondant.  Does anyone know how this is done?   My son makes his first communion soon and I liked the look of it.  Thank you!

4 replies
Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

Here is a link

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 2:33am
post #3 of 5

The green and pink look like they are painted food colours or maybe dusted.  The black outline looks like gel dyed black... you could probably use black royal icing as well but the gel does give a more stain glass look.  So mark out pattern, do colour and then let dry and outline with black.     The gel I am talking about is a clear or red type used for pastry.  I am brain dead right now and can't remember the correct name for this gel... sorry. I think this was painted on fondant... seems more matt. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 4:30am
post #4 of 5

I agree w/her ^^^ :)   Actually the pink and green look to me to be very thinned down b'cream painted on.  

But, but.............wait a minute..........that isn't the cake you are talking about is it?  The cake is posted by someone pointing you to how to accomplish stained glass work.   

I did a stained glass window once. - many yrs ago.   I used colored piping gel on fondant.  Dry the fondant 'window' for a day or 2, then pipe/flow in the piping gel and let that dry several days or more.  I outlined w/black b'cream if I remember right.  

Depending on the size of the window you want to make you probably only need a Tablespoon (maybe only a teaspoon) of each color.  I think I used blue, green, yellow and pink.  Gel takes color very well so just use a tiny speck on a toothpick  to start with & swirl it into the gel.  You can always add more color but once it's too dark you would need to add a HUGE amount of clear to tone it down.  

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 8 Apr 2016 , 9:32am
post #5 of 5

Learn Multidimensional Sugar Work in: Decorating in Three ...

You may like to check out this site. Maggie Austin is renowned for beautiful stained glass cakes. I purchased this online video tutorial of hers. I've now made several stained glass cakes and I love doing it. Her instructions are really detailed and it's not difficult. (coloured vodka, paper towelling, edible markers)

An extra bonus - the tutorial also covers bas relief cakes and they're also a favourite of mine now.

All the best,

Cheryl

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%