Venue Contracts

Business By cpmo Updated 4 Apr 2016 , 3:03am by cpmo

cpmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpmo Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 10:54am
post #1 of 3

Has anyone negotiated a contract with a venue to do all of their wedding cakes for them?  We own a retail location and have been doing wedding cakes for years.  This would a large contract for us to get, but not sure what steps wouLd be best for us. 

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 3

It would depend on what they want you to do for them, most likely. One venue I know sends the customer to the baker and then takes a flat amount for each cake, so the baker is basically giving them a kickback. BUT if it's an exclusive relationship, and the bride can't go anywhere else, you're going to get a lot more business than you would otherwise. You have to decide whether it's worth it to you to do that, or if you're going to raise your prices to include that fee, or whatever.

Another venue that I worked with would charge the bride a fixed amount per guest, then pay me directly for the cake. Since they charged the bride for 100% of the guest count, and I only did about 80% for the serving count (not everyone eats cake, and the venue said that if I didn't do that they always ended up with a lot of cake left over) I could charge my normal price and still keep it within the amount that the venue charged the bride per cake. I didn't have to charge the same price that the venue charged the bride even if it was lower than my price, know what I mean?

I'd find out from the venue what their terms are and see what they expect you to do. Get their offer first, because that will let you see where they're coming from. If you propose something to them first and it's worse than what they usually do you'll never know that you missed out, because they won't tell you!

cpmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cpmo Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 3:03am
post #3 of 3

Thank you for the response!   That gives us a few things to think about before we meet with them . 

A fixed  amount per quest makes sense..  Would that price be based on the bride choosing a buttercream frosted cake with basic decorations.?  What  If they want a fondant covered cake and more elaborate decorations  or wanted to use our cake stands ?  

we normally charge a rental fee for the use of our cake stands. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%