How Would You Make This Design?

Decorating By carolinecakes Updated 5 Apr 2016 , 1:04am by costumeczar

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 10

I saw this cake and just love it and I'm curious about the flowers . What are these flowers made out of ?  Wafer paper?? In the back of the flowers, is that some kind of cake lace? TIA

Denim

9 replies
JustVcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustVcakes Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 10

It does look like cut cake lace that was airbrushed blue lines.  The whole cake looks airbrushed blue.  The flowers to me look like gumpaste.  The flower ends look to me like painted airbrush blue coloring or maybe a petal powder painted on.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 10

i tend to agree w/the other poster.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 10

Those are wafer paper flowers, it's a weird method that involves making the edges melt and curl up. I was going to make a video showing how to do this next week, it's really easy to ruin them doing it, but since they're messy you can get away with it. This is the decorator who does a lot of this style: http://www.luciasimeone.com/

I had a couple of customers ask me to imitate the flowers on a couple of her cakes, so I've messed around with it and can say that it's wafer paper that's been melted and manipulated and twisted and blah blah blah.

The stuff behind it is probably just done with paper punches, similar to the red flower sheet on the website. Or by dripping water onto the paper to make irregular holes.

carolinecakes Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 10

Thanks everyone.

@ costumeczar thanks for the link, and info. I have never made wafer paper flowers, sounds tricky to work with, so I'm eagerly waiting  your video.

costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 5:48pm
post #6 of 10

Quote by @carolinecakes on 3 hours ago

Thanks everyone.

@ costumeczar thanks for the link, and info. I have never made wafer paper flowers, sounds tricky to work with, so I'm eagerly waiting  your video.

I'll do it tomorrow when everyone leaves for work and school and I have no interference! ;)

costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 10

Here's the video...I have it unlisted right now, so you can only get to it with this link. If you go to my youtube channel it won't show up yet. 

I also apologize in advance beacase I kept moving off-camera. Oops.

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 10:38pm
post #8 of 10

@costumeczar ‍ Great video!  I think I'm gonna play with this over the weekend.  Thanks for posting it :)

carolinecakes Posted 4 Apr 2016 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 10

@costumeczar ‍ Love the video,  you make it look so easy. As soon as I get my hands on the wafer paper, I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing.

costumeczar Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 1:04am
post #10 of 10

It is easy, you just have to be careful not to get it too wet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%