Oh Shoot Just Heard About The Price Of Vanilla...

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 2 Apr 2016 , 8:27pm by CakesbyGeorge

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 9:17pm
post #1 of 18

it's doubling -- gotta make a run to sam's club hahahaha

17 replies
Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 12:42am
post #2 of 18

Did something happen to the vanilla bean crop?  Thank goodness, I just bought a 32oz bottle off Amazon.

hvanaalst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hvanaalst Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 3:28am
post #3 of 18

It doubled where I am a few months ago   Hope it doesn't double again  

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 11:56am
post #4 of 18

i  have a stash so i haven't bought any recently maybe I'm too late then -- i hate it when vanilla prices are high because it does double -- hate that -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 18

I'll run right out to 99 cent store for some Mexican vanilla.............LOL  

YIKES, what is NOT doubling in price these days?

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 18

This guy is a cooking guru, if you don't know him. These results are interesting. Maybe we should be using a different vanilla in frosting than in the cake?

http://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/taste-test-is-better-vanilla-extract-worth-the-price.html

-K8memphis Posted 30 Mar 2016 , 6:49pm
post #7 of 18

i bought a huge container half gallon maybe of imitation vanilla for use in my tea room but i could never bring myself to use it --

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 6:16pm
post #8 of 18

I use imitation all the time and everyone says that my vanilla cake is delicious.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 7:03pm
post #9 of 18

I'm weak...but good for you!

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 7:04pm
post #10 of 18

I make my own...3 different types......madagascar, tonga and tahitian.  I love homemade vanilla and I get lots of compliments on it.  I have two 1.75 liter bottles of tonga brewing in my closet right now.  Needless to say, I use the leftover beans for vanilla sugar.  I also read somewhere how to make lemon extract and since I have a lisbon lemon tree in my yard as well as a meyer, so I'm giving it a try, too.  Haven't tried it yet, though, it's still "brewing".  Guess that may mean that vanilla bean prices are going to go up, though.  Haven't checked the internet for that yet.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 18

there was real bad weather in madasgar a few years ago and this happened -- vanilla takes months to

-K8memphis Posted 31 Mar 2016 , 7:15pm
post #12 of 18

oops, hit the wrong button -- vanilla takes months to cure -- it is pollinated by hand and there's only one day when it's ready -- so no calling in sick kwim-- and don't be late from break! ha!

it comes of course from orchid pods -- only grows within 20 degrees of the equator -- delicate conditions -- important luscious results

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 5:04am
post #13 of 18

....and...the testers on that foodie site couldn't tell the difference in vanillas' in baked foods.

But...but...I liked being a vanilla snob...    : / 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 18

Since my business is predicated on nothing artificial and preservative free, I will stick with the real stuff.  I make a double strength Madagascar Bourbon vanilla that my clients love in my various vanilla products.  Bu I have never used fake vanilla because it never tasted good to me. Personal choice and possibly business model can certainly drive this.  

-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 2:47pm
post #15 of 18

it makes me crazy when i see people measuring out vanilla into leetle teensy teaspoons, slowly guiding it over to the bowl -- heck i slosh more than they ever even get in there --

i just squirt it in -- my motto is 'if a little is good a lot is better'

clap.png

signed,

i'm a vanilla snob too

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 8:07pm
post #16 of 18

K8 I'm right there with ya:)   slosh away.........if a little is good a LOT is much better! LOL

Jinkies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jinkies Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 8:10pm
post #17 of 18

Ok, I replied to this thread back when k8 first posted it and it's been held for review for several days.  I'm gonna look pretty silly when it's finally approved.  Sorry bout that....  :)

CakesbyGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyGeorge Posted 2 Apr 2016 , 8:27pm
post #18 of 18

I have been ordering Mexican Vanilla on Amazon.  I have purchased the clear and the regular with the Red Rooster label and am very pleased.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%