Fmm Easiest Rose Cutter

Sugar Work By 1clare Updated 17 Apr 2016 , 3:32am by gscout73

1clare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1clare Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 12:13am
post #1 of 14

I have to make a wedding cake with cascading roses and I'm considering using the FMM easiest rose cutter.  My concern is that these roses are not wired and I'm concerned that the larger ones especially will be too heavy to stick onto the fondant covered tiers.  Can I  hear from people who have made a multi-tiered cake with cascading roses made with this cutter.  Any pictures would be great too.

13 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 3:27am
post #2 of 14

I love these cutters. I used it to make the roses on my green St. Pats cake. I did not cascade, I believe you should be able to add wires, but I have not had a reason to try it yet. Good luck. I am interested in seeing how your cake comes out.

1clare Posted 3 Apr 2016 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 14

thanks gscout73, I may purchase one of the cutters.  I'm just not sure which one to buy, the small or large.  They are inexpensive enough that I will probably get both and give it a try.  I'll try to remember to post a picture

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 10:05am
post #4 of 14

I was given one as  a present from my son for Mothers Day (cheapskate kid!) He said as he proudly handed it over "This will save you time mum"...by which he meant more time saved to cook for him.

I have to say if you make realistic gumpaste roses this will disappoint, they look like mass produced molded flowers, thick petals, uniform shapes unless you really work them individually. I wont be using it again, though it makes economic sense if you run a business.

If you lived in Scotland I'd send you mine as a present lol x 

1clare Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 4:33pm
post #5 of 14

Ha ha  I don't live there but my relatives do  what a coincidence  well thank you very much for the honest review  I had a feeling this was the case  I won't be purchasing these cutters  I need excellent roses for my daughters wedding cake this October  cheerio and thanks

cakebaby2 Posted 5 Apr 2016 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 14

Yes us Scots will proudly  pass on any old c%$p sorry about that..Oxfam it is then...so many directors so little time to make gumpaste roses?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 2:01am
post #7 of 14

[postimage id="3475" thumb="900"] 

this is made with modeling chocolate, but this huge lump of wasted modeling chocolate on the bottom made me nuts.  I cut them all off vefore using the roses.  I bought both the large and small quickie things, threw away the small one, it was so small it was a waste of money.  There are much better ways to make gumpaste/sugarpaste roses than with this, especially if you need them on toothpicks, or wires.  I'd only use this for a border where you wanted regimented almost exact row of roses, or cupcakes.

cakebaby2 Posted 6 Apr 2016 , 5:02am
post #8 of 14

That's it Ms Alaska, its a horrible thing, everything looks like a kid made it. It wouldn't look out of place on an Asda /Walmart cake. Cutting off all that big bottom on an angle is recommended but it still looks like it came from a mold.

MBalaska Posted 7 Apr 2016 , 3:56am
post #9 of 14

curiosity here......has anyone seen any cakes posted with these easy rose cutter roses on them, that are not made by the owner of the cutter shop??

gscout73 Posted 13 Apr 2016 , 11:41pm
post #10 of 14

I love the cutters and mine don't have thick petals. If you watch the video, they show that you thin the edges of the petals. Mine come out very pretty.

[postimage id="3565" thumb="900"]

MBalaska Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 3:53am
post #11 of 14

@gscout73 ‍ your rose looks lovely, nice soft petals.

cakebaby2 Posted 14 Apr 2016 , 6:49am
post #12 of 14

Your rose is pretty, I just prefer them not to look uniform. I like realistic flowers that can be posed and these are not I'm afraid. They look like someone sat down and used a mold..or an easiest rose cutter?

Great for a business cranking out cakes, very easy and quick and yes, I watched the video and yes, customers who have never seen the work of RBI or Peggi Porschen or Amy Swann will be impressed.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 16 Apr 2016 , 7:44pm
post #13 of 14

I think they look awesome. I saw a web page where someone made them with a bud in the center, added some green dust inside and some pink around the edges on peach-colored ones and they looked gorgeous. But it was a link on Tumblr and it got deleted and now I can't find it again or I would share the photo here. I just ordered the cutters and I can't wait to try them out! I can see why some wouldn't like it, but personally I'm in favor of anything that makes making roses easier.

gscout73 Posted 17 Apr 2016 , 3:32am
post #14 of 14

Well, The certainly do not look like they were popped out of a mold. These rose cutters do work.Yes I have seen the work of others, but these are still quite lovely, can be "posed, " and many real roses do look alike. So do some roses and other flowers created by world renowned sugar artists. These cutters allow many roses to be created at a faster pace. They may not win a lifelike competition. But they certainly do not look like they were popped out of a mold. That look is flat and quite boring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%