Lemon Cupcake Leavening

Baking By annagon Updated 28 Mar 2016 , 10:42pm by annagon

annagon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annagon Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 5

I'm having issues with my lemon cupcakes.  They tend to bake flat or slightly sunken in or they overflow slightly (though that might be from overfilling).  The batter starts to puff up right away.  I tried adding 1/4 tsp of baking soda and slightly whipped the eggs separately (the batter kept looking curdled when I added the eggs) and it didn't help at all.  More overflow and it created a loose irregular crumb.  I'm looking for a tight, even crumb and a slight dome.  Should I adjust the leavener?   Whip the egg whites and incorporate at the end?  Try cake flour?  This the recipe I use:

• 2 1/4 cups AP flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/4 cups buttermilk (made with whole milk and lemon juice)
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • lemon zest from two lemons
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon pure lemon extract

4 replies
craftybanana2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana2 Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 5

1 tablespoon of baking powder? That's a whole lot of leavening. And with buttermilk you generally want both powder and soda because of the acidity. The overflow and sinking sound like too much leavening. Both of my red velvet and chocolate cake use only 1 teaspoon each of baking soda and baking powder with 1 cup of buttermilk.

annagon Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 5

This recipe makes about 20 cupcakes.

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 5

My lemon uses 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon soda to 2 1/2 cups cake flour, no buttermilk, but I do use sour cream.

I agree with crafty... 1 tablespoon of baking powder is a lot.

annagon Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 5

Hmmm, most of the recipes in the book Sky High: Irresistible Triple Layer Cakes (which produce really great cake results) use 1 tbsp up to 4 tsps for 8 or 9 inch cakes, so it didn't seem crazy to me.  Maybe that doesn't work as well for cupcakes though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%