Fondant And Burlap?

Decorating By amybaez86 Updated 28 Mar 2016 , 1:27pm by amybaez86

amybaez86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amybaez86 Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 3:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone!

I have two questions:

1. I'm making my first wedding cake. Bride wants a 3 tiered cake to serve 80 guests. I was thinking of doing either a 6, 8 and 10. Would that look fine? Any suggestions?

2. She requested fondant, how can I attach burlap ribbon to the cake? With buttercream I suppose?? Not sure.

Any tips, suggestions, advice, etc will be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

9 replies
nadiacorallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nadiacorallo Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 10

Hi, I'm think a sturdier icing like Royal icing or softened white chocolate or even candy melts might be the best mediums to use, as they harden at room temperature and also dry very firm. And burlap is quite heavy. You would just need to apply it at the seam area where the back of the cake is, not along the whole ribbon. You can tint the icing or chocolate the same colour as the fondant so it's hardly noticeable. Good luck!

nadiacorallo Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 10

I think the sizes you suggested will be fine to serve 80 people. At 1×2 inch slices that's about right. A great app I love to use for portions is the cake slicer app! 

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 10

Do you mean edible lace burlap? Or real one? Real burlap is not edible and can't be completely removed from the cake without leaving pieces still stuck to the fondant. Just a side note...

amybaez86 Posted 24 Mar 2016 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you nadiocrallo!

Yes, sorry, the bride insists on using real burlap :-/

nadiacorallo Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 3:55am
post #6 of 10

I am not sure that the burlap will stick to the fondant but it's possible if you tend to have humidity in your fridge and your fondant gets wet. But if you are worried about that, you could maybe apply a satin ribbon of the same size of tge burlap ribbon, and the same colour of the cake, directly beneath the burlap ribbon just as a sort of buffer. Hope that helps

Sinad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sinad Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 12:44am
post #7 of 10

I actually did a wedding cake like that and made the burlap part out of fondant. Michaels sells a burlap roller that leaves the imprint. It's looked great.

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creativeconfectioner Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 6:24pm
post #8 of 10

Wilton has a burlap pattern roller that creates a wide ribbon width that may be a more food safe option....we aim to please...but at the end of the day we must guide our clients and above all be food safe...here's a link

http://www.wilton.com/wilton-burlap-pattern-roller-1907-1358/1907-1358.html

amybaez86 Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 10

Hello,

Do you have a picture of the cake you made? I would love to see!

amybaez86 Posted 28 Mar 2016 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for your help!!! :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%