Chocolate Ganache Splitting - Expensive Vs Cheap Chocolate - Fail On The Good Stuff!

Baking By Snowflakebunny23 Updated 22 Mar 2016 , 3:34pm by kramersl

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, I have made dozens (probably hundreds) of batches of ganache.  I normally use home-brand chocolate and have never had a problem.  200g of chocolate to 100g double cream (in the UK - 47g fat per 100).  This is plain/dark chocolate.

Last week, I did an experiment - the chocolate I usually use vs Lindt to see if I could tell the difference. Total disaster :-(  The ganache split and could not be recovered (whisking, adding glucose all failed).  I tried it again but same result.  I've just bought some Green and Blacks to try but before I waste more perfectly good chocolate, does anyone know why this is happening?  I'd rather not waste any more!!

The only thing I can see is that my usual chocolate has 29g of fat/100g where the posh stuff is around 47g/100g.  Could that do it?  Any of the scientific bakers amongst us help?  I really want to use the good stuff (it smells WAYY better) but can't if it's costing me that much in wastage!!  Lol.

Thanks in advance for any help

x

2 replies
kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 3:28pm
post #2 of 3

Strange... I only use Lindt for my ganache and never had an issue with it splitting.

The excess of fat is definitely what caused it to split. It could either be the extra fat in the Lindt or if your cream was slightly separated and you didn't notice, that would cause you to inadvertently add more fat into the ganache.

The ratio I use for my ganache is 125ml cream and 113g of Lindt chocolate.

kramersl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kramersl Posted 22 Mar 2016 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 3

Also, one time my ganache split when I used a different chocolate. I was able to salvage it by bringing fat free milk to a simmer and adding it slowly to the split ganache while whisking vigorously.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%