How Do You Blend The Seam?

Sugar Work By sweetchariot Updated 29 Mar 2016 , 3:09am by sweetchariot

sweetchariot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchariot Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 8

How do you blend the fondant seam in cake wrapping techniques? I did the technique where you have a circle of fondant on top then you wrap the fondant around the side. Image seen others do a tall piece of fondant wrapped and then folded over the top and blended.

for the life of me I cannot figure out how to "blend the seam". One just said use your warm hands, but that totally didn't work. Here is my cake I am working on and cannot figure out how to blend that top seam.

[postimage id="3260" thumb="900"]

7 replies
sweetchariot Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 8

[postimage id="3261" thumb="900"]

sugarbritches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbritches Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 4:11am
post #3 of 8

I am really anxious to know what the answer is as I've wondered myself wanting to try that technique.  BTW your cake looks beautiful so far!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 12:40pm
post #4 of 8

You can water down fondant to make it a thin gluey consistency and fill in cracks, so try that, but it can dry a different color than the base fondant.

If it's dried out too much you might not be able to do it, so put it back int the fridge, let it get cold, then take it out and  when the condensation forms it will soften up again and you might be able to work with it. http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/2011/02/screwed-up-fondantwhat-to-do-what-to-do.html

costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2016 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 8

I don't know if that's a live link or not, but copy and paste it, it's an article with some "how to fix fondant" suggestions from a few years ago."

Creativeconfectioner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2016 , 8:57pm
post #7 of 8

Same thing...I always referred to it as spackle but I used to do a lot of home repairs when we owned a 90-yr-old house...

sweetchariot Posted 29 Mar 2016 , 3:09am
post #8 of 8

Hey thanks for all of your replies! I really appreciate it! I have seen the "spackling" technique and thought about trying it. But didn't know if there was another way. I really appreciate your input! 

This cake was for my daughters 5th birthday.  The ruffles were taking too long so I decided to stop and call it good.   She loved it  despite it being half finished.   It was a dummy cake on the bottom. I had some leftover fondant so I tried a few techniques that I had not tried before.  So that was fun! 

Learning every step of the way!

[postimage id="3402" thumb="900"]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%