Starting My New Business?

Business By diana_mozo Updated 21 Mar 2016 , 12:58am by FrostedMoon

diana_mozo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana_mozo Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 8

hello everyone! I'm 15 years old and since I was 13 i started baking and got passionate in cake decorating. i want to take it to the next level because i'm too young to start working at a bakery, so i want to sell my own cakes. should i make a facebook page and a web site? a lot of people have recommended me that. Also, if i make a web site, i'll make a menu (vanilla cake, chocolate cake, cupcakes and brownies) but the customer must pick up the product. is it right? and do you have any ideas for names?

and for the brownies, i personally think that they are very expensive (almost six dollars!). though they are super delicious, the batch is not super large. how much do you charge for your brownies?

thank you all xxx.

7 replies
Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 8

Sounds like you have the passion!   Now it is time to reach out to see what your local community/city may require in order to legally sell baked goods.  This will allow you to take the steps needed to start a business!  Once you have that in place, you can then get to the webiste, facebook, pricing, and the rest.

BlueEyedBonnie321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueEyedBonnie321 Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 8:52pm
post #3 of 8

I'm in the same spot as you, but I'm 23 haha. I agree with pp

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 18 Mar 2016 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 8

Yes, another vote for checking in to the local requirements.  Be aware that there will likely be fees and requirements involved, and they can vary greatly from town to town.  Some absolutely refuse to allow home bakers to legally sell their products, others will allow it but have strict rules about what you can sell, how you sell it, and what you have to do before you can start selling.  Don't think your age makes this less necessary, either.  I've heard of much younger (elementary school age) kids try ot sell cupcakes & run in to legal problems because of it.  Plus insurance.  Not all bakers have it, but if someone says your baked goods made them sick and take legal action, without insurance you & your family (as your guardians) would be responsible for the consequences.  There is also a lot more to running a business than just the baking.  I don't mean to scare you, but there have been much older people who have attempted to start a business without these steps and crashed & burned because of it.  You are young and clearly have the passion.  You might be better off continuing to hone your skills, perfect your recipes, and learn all you can about what makes a baking business successful.  Cake Central is a great place to start.  Use that little search box at the top right to search for other posts about starting a business.  There is a lot of amazing advice out there.  Read all you can and then read some more.  If this doesn't sound like what you had in mind, it's probably a good sign that you aren't ready to start your own business.  Have you check to see if local bakeries are willing to have you be an intern or assistant?  If home bakers are allowed in your area, you could always contact them and see if anyone is willing to take you under their wing.  Unpaid experience can still be great experience.  Best of luck to you!

diana_mozo Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 12:20am
post #5 of 8

thank you everyone for replying! i apreaciate it so much. I read a little, but it doesn't say anything about starting a business at home. I've heard of some people who sell cakes in my city, though they don't have web sites, they just sell around the area. I'll investigate some more! thanks again!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 8

They could be selling illegally, and they'll have fun with the IRS if they get caught...Where are you located? Maybe someone on here has an idea of what's legal in your area.

diana_mozo Posted 20 Mar 2016 , 3:09pm
post #7 of 8

I'm from Barranquilla, Colombia. I tried to investigate a little but it doesn't say anything about my area. I know a couple of people that sell cakes at home, I'll ask them if they have any license or something. but at the moment i'm very insecure. thanks!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 21 Mar 2016 , 12:58am
post #8 of 8

In the US every city has a Board of Health that regulates all of the businesses that sell food.  I would check in your city with whatever department that is.  They should be able to tell you if there are any laws about selling food from home.  Like costumeczar said, other home bakers may not have gone through the proper channels to be able to sell and could unintentionally give you false information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%