Whale Shower

Decorating By Jeannielynn Updated 19 Mar 2016 , 6:43pm by Jeannielynn

Jeannielynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannielynn Posted 16 Mar 2016 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 9

I'll be making a cake or cupcakes for a coworker's baby shower.  I have a mold for one of those adorable gumpaste sleeping babies & have been waiting for an opportunity to make some.  Found out while ago that it will be a whale themed shower.  I've seen some cute ideas of whale cakes but I really want to incorporate this baby somehow!  Thought about the baby dreaming of a cute little whale or a whale cuddled up around the baby but can't quite figure out how to put these together. Does anyone have any ideas simple enough for a non-professional?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

8 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 9

I like your idea of the baby dreaming of a whale.  Cut a 'dream bubble' out of fondant (&/or gumpaste) that will stand above the baby's head.  You can draw a whale on w/non-toxic felt-tipped pens or crayons or print an edible image or  cut out of the same fondant/gp and glue it on or paint it on w/paste food color.   

cupkakesp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupkakesp Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 9

What about a 3D whale with the baby riding it?  And maybe some cupcakes with baby whale toppers?  Just another idea..  Have fun with it!  Sounds like it'll be a cute one no matter what you decide:)!

Jeannielynn Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 9

Not sure if I have the confidence yet in making something stand up without toppling over, but might have to give it a shot .  Thank you!

Jeannielynn Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 9

I like the idea of the baby riding on the whale!  Thanks!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 9

It's easy to make small designs that stand up by using fondant or gp.  Just cut out the design and let it dry overnight (usually that's enough time but may need a day, 2 or 3).  Being that they will go on a cupcake will make them small enough to stand up:)  

Yes, the idea of baby on the whale is great too.  make a 3-d whale by shaping fondant then place the molded baby on it.  To attach fondant to fondant just very lightly brush a bit of water on one piece.  OR you can add a drop or two of melted chocolate/candy melts.  

You must p;ost a pic when you are done with this project :)

Jeannielynn Posted 17 Mar 2016 , 11:27pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks!  I've been creeping on this site a while & joined yesterday since I wanted help.  There are some amazingly talented people on here, not sure if I'm brave enough to show my amatuer stuff .

pastrypet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrypet Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:13pm
post #8 of 9

[postimage id="3227" thumb="900"]

Jeannielynn Posted 19 Mar 2016 , 6:43pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, that is an awesome idea!  Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%