Help! Stable Peanut Buttercream???

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 13 Mar 2016 , 1:43am by GeminiBaker

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 7:49pm
post #1 of 11

I usually use the Fluffy American BC recipe for all of my cakes, and just add whatever I want to it.  But today, I needed peanut butter BC and it seems to have changed the consistency of the icing so that it is not holding up tiers!!!

Anyone have any suggestions or fixes or different recipes??

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 11

haven't tried it yet but they have powdered peanut butter in local grocery stores here now -- even saw it at Wal-Mart -- so that 'sounds' like a game changer but needs to be tested first -- i've seen it in the nut section and the peanut butter section --

should work though huh

GeminiBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiBaker Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 11

I used one in the past that was very thick and included a cup of peanut butter in the buttercream. It was sturdy. 

lrlt2000 Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 11

Do you recall the recipe??

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 11

you could also add some cornstarch to your wimpy stuff to firm it up

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 11

K8memphis-I think you are referring to PB2-the Peanut butter powder with some sugar.  Pretty good stuff and I use it to enhance my peanut butter cookies.  I keep meaning to try it with frosting.  When I make Peanut butter frosting, I add peanut butter to my completed IMBC to taste.  I keep thinking I could probably do the same with the PB2 but have not tested it yet.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 10:43pm
post #7 of 11

yes that's it -- i've seen many different kinds/brands -- there was one with vanilla which i thought was a great idea too -- it's so cool i think --

is it as smoothy smooth as it seems or is it a bit textural? 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Mar 2016 , 10:45pm
post #8 of 11

y'know how baking powder is light as air and then baking soda is creamier/heavier -- which is the  powdered peanut butter like? i should just get some huh

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 12:22am
post #9 of 11

I tried adding more PS after the fact, but it didn't help.  It just seemed like the PB broke it down or something.  I think I'll try my fluffy ABC again, but start with more PS first.  I'm at a loss but I need this done NOW!

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 12:54am
post #10 of 11

The recipe I use for peanut butter icing is:

1/2 cup butter, 1 cup creamy peanut butter, 2 cups icing sugar and 2 tbsp milk.  So far I've only used it for a single tiered cake & also my BB-8 cake but I feel it should work in a tiered cake.  You can always add a bit more icing sugar or use less milk to get it thicker if need be.

Hope that helps :-)

GeminiBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiBaker Posted 13 Mar 2016 , 1:43am
post #11 of 11
  • PB BUTTERCREAM:
  • ½ cup Butter, softened
  • ¾ cup Peanut Butter
  • 2 cups Powdered Sugar
  • 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
  • 1 Tablespoon milk (+ more if needed)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%