Erupting Volcano Cake Without Dry Ice

Decorating By julia1812 Updated 11 Mar 2016 , 6:35am by julia1812

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 8

Unfortunately there is no dry ice available where I live but I'm quite determined to make am awesome wowing erupting volcano cake for the son of a friend of mine (who sadly passed away). His father asked me to make it, money is no issue as long as his son has a fantastic party and CAKE. It needs to be food safe obviously and should be more than a few bubbles (I tried baking soda and vinegar and besides an awful taste it wasn't an impressive effect at all... I'm stuck! Any help? 

7 replies
LinaLotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LinaLotte Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 8

Hi,

have you seen this thread http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/704095/how-do-i-make-a-volcan-erupt-and-it-still-be-edible ?

There said someone that she got the dry ice from the grocery store, maybe you could ask your local ones?

julia1812 Posted 9 Mar 2016 , 7:13am
post #3 of 8

Thanks @LinaLotte I saw that thread but it isn't really helpful. Vitamin tablets just bubble a bit and taste not nice if all over the cake.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 10 Mar 2016 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 8

You know how the combination of soda and Mentos candy makes an explosion?  I wonder if you could assemble the cake around a soda bottle and open it as the presentation.  Of course there would already be icing 'lava spills' around the cake in your design.stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye.png  I'm not sure how it would work out and it would require some testing on your part - and test it outside!!! Those mento/sodas can make a mess.  Youtube it if you're not familiar with it!

Good luck!

T

david_and_niko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
david_and_niko Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 1:31am
post #5 of 8

If you are looking  for fog and mist like  you get with dry ice, you could look at something like this. http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-LED-Mist-Maker-Fogger-Water-Fountain-Pond-Fog-Machine-Atomizer-Air-Humidifier-/171547466817?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368     It has  to be plugged in though.

julia1812 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 6:13am
post #6 of 8

@Theresaf I saw the video but I think it would just be too messy. Am having a bottle of soda poured over the cake doesn't seem too appetising. 

@david_and_niko what a cool machine. I've forwarded the link to the dad, he's in Europe now so hopefully he can bring it!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 6:26am
post #7 of 8

Men like fire, so feel free to add sparklers for "fire" more than smoke. ???

julia1812 Posted 11 Mar 2016 , 6:35am
post #8 of 8

Yes that's a good idea. Hope to even find red ones!!! Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%