Any Easy Tutorials On How To Make A Nice Gift Tag That Will Hang From A Gift Box Cake?

Decorating By aaabeginner Updated 8 Mar 2016 , 11:58pm by aaabeginner

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 6

Made a gift box cake. Would love to find a simple way to make a gift tag for it that will hang (from what?) out of fondant. TIA!

5 replies
carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 6

You can google a gift tag template, there a various shapes. Print on card stock or paper, cut out, use that as your pattern to cut out of fondant. Using a skewer or end of a round piping tip make a hole where the string will go through the tag.

Make the string out of fondant also,roll a small amount of fondant by hand to make a thin rope. Make sure its narrow enough to pass through the hole you made in the tag. It doesn't have to hang, only appear to. The tag is really attached to the cake, the fondant string is only for appearance. Does that make sense, lmk if you have any questions. Here are some pics, found on pinterest, not mine, just to give you a visual. Caking is a hobby of mine so when I don't have a particular tool I improvise.

this would be cute for a baby shower-the ribbon the color of the sex.:

cake:

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 6

But of course carolinecakes....I have a degree in improvisation.... LOL.  I am a hobby baker with the occasional paying customer.  I do not have lots of money to just spend on everything I look at, so I use the most basic tools to get the same results as on a picture.

carolinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 6

@ropalama  See you get it.......I find myself looking at the stuff in my kitchen drawers in a whole new light. LOL

carolinecakes Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 7:09pm
post #5 of 6

You can also use a straw to make the hole, and a pizza cutter or exacto knife to cut the fondant.

Here's a template...

http://blog.hobbycraft.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Luggage-Tag-Template.pdf

aaabeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaabeginner Posted 8 Mar 2016 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your input! smiley.png

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%