Stacking A Two Tier Cake

Decorating By Courtneycaker Updated 4 Mar 2016 , 8:58am by dariusjgeorge

Courtneycaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Courtneycaker Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! So I have a two tier cake this weekend to do and I've never stacked just two tiers before. I have done 3 tiers and to stack that I used wooden dowels and did about 4 per layer and pushed them all through to the bottom cake board and used one long one to go all the way from the top tier through to the bottom. I hope I'm making sense. 

Do I have to have a long one in my two tier to go all the way to the bottom or can I just dowel the bottom tier and the top tier sits on top?

TIA 

6 replies
Courtneycaker Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 7

Please help! I'm soooo lost 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 7

Do the same as you did for the 3 tier.  In my opinion you do NOT HAVE to have a long one.  I delivered many 3 tier cakes without a centre/long one.  You just have to be careful driving when delivering.  

What size the tiers are can make a difference.  If it's say a 10" w/an 8" on top it's going to be top heavy and you would be better off using the center one.  If it a 12 & 8 no problem - it's much more balanced.  If the sizes are close then put the whold cake on a bigger board to help balance it.  Like the example above put the 10" on a 12" board then place that on a 16"er for transporting.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:44pm
post #4 of 7

Oh boy.......lots of typos above :(

Courtneycaker Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 7

It's a 6" and 8"! Thanks for your help!! I'm new at this and woooow it's stressful haha 

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Mar 2016 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 7

You don't need a center dowel. I never use one at all, but especially for a two-tiered cake, it's unnecessary.

dariusjgeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dariusjgeorge Posted 4 Mar 2016 , 8:58am
post #7 of 7

yeah  I agree with costume czar. For a two tier cale it should be fairly simple! stay calm and bake cake! :D Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%