Buttercream Recipe And To Freeze Or Not To Freeze??

Decorating By AngelMonique97 Updated 3 Mar 2016 , 6:06am by LaurisCakesandMore

AngelMonique97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelMonique97 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 7

I apologize in advance for all the questions I am about to ask.

1) Should you always freeze your cakes before icing them with bc? If so, do you leave to cool for a long while or put them straight into the freezer?

2) For how long do you freeze your cake? And about how long does it take to thaw completely?

3) Also, do you ice the cake while it is still frozen or leave it to thaw completely (or partially)?

4) And do you put it back into the freezer once it's been iced, or the fridge maybe? I have heard that you don't ever want to keep your cake in the fridge too long, is that true?

5) And lastly I am looking for a fool proof buttercream recipe! Would anybody be willing to share? Thank you :)

6 replies
bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7

1. No, you don't always have to freeze your cakes before icing. Some people freeze cakes because they bake in advance and freeze until needed. Others freeze because it seems to make your cake more moist. I haven't tried it so I can't be sure.

If you want to freeze, allow your cake to cool completely, wrap well with multiple layers of plastic wrap and foil, preferably use a freezer bag and/or air tight container and freeze.

2. How long you can freeze a cake for depends on your recipe, but I think upto a month should be ok. Thaw overnight in the fridge, still wrapped up.

3. I don't think you'd be able to tort a frozen cake so you can ice it yeah? I would thaw it in the fridge, then tort and ice. Some people tort and ice the cake first then freeze it. Then thaw it a day before and decorate.

In any case, a chilled cake is much easier to ice than a room temperature one. It's sturdier and you have fewer crumbs. I wrap my cooled cakes well, chill in the fridge for 6 hours upto overnight, then tort and ice.

4. You don't need to freeze your cake again after icing. Fridge only if your filling/ icing is not shelf stable, eg. Cream cheese, fresh fruit, whipped cream. Regular buttercream is shelf stable. I put my cakes in the freezer for 10 minutes right before I put on fondant, just to make them a little firm.

If you need to store your cakes for days, freeze them, don't refridgerate. But well-wrapped, upto 24 hours in the fridge should be ok.

bakemeenchanted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakemeenchanted Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 7

I can't edit my posts for some reason? Huh.

Anyway, I use Alice Currah's vanilla and chocolate buttercream recipes from savorysweetlife.com

I just modify the mixing method a little in that I add the powdered sugar half a cup at a time, beat for a good minute after each addition, and then beat the whole thing for 5-10 minutes at the end. Makes your frosting super light and fluffy, and reduces grittiness.

Hope this all helps! 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 11:57pm
post #4 of 7

Quote by @AngelMonique97 on 1 hour ago   

1) Should you always freeze your cakes before icing them with bc? If so, do you leave to cool for a long while or put them straight into the freezer?

Answer:  You do not HAVE to freeze but it does help make most cakes moister.  I prefer to cool;  time element depends on the size of the cake but usually about 1/2 hour is enough. How you wrap it Depends on how you need to fz the cake.  For just a day up to a week I put them into a plastic bag - like a bread wrapper.  Anything longer then gets a layer of freezer wrap or foil.  

2) For how long do you freeze your cake? And about how long does it take to thaw completely?

Answer: How long? Can be any amount of time from overnight up to 1 year.  The amount of time to  thaw depends on the size of the layers.   Best to remove from fzr the night before you want to work on them Or if working on it say after work then in the a.m. before leaving for work.  

3) Also, do you ice the cake while it is still frozen or leave it to thaw completely (or partially)?

Answer: I had the icing fall off a fzr iced cake once so I always defrost.....completely or almost:)  Besides if icing fzn w/b'cream it hardens quickly so it is hard to smooth :(

4) And do you put it back into the freezer once it's been iced, or the fridge maybe? I have heard that you don't ever want to keep your cake in the fridge too long, is that true?

Answer: I never put my cakes back into the freezer once iced (ohhh, well not exactly, as I have fzn leftover finished cakes and we kept my daughters wedding top for 2 1/2 yr LOL)  As far as keeping cake in the frig "too long"  that would be a totally different time element for each person.  I myself have kept leftover cake covered in plastic in my frig as long as 2 weeks (it got shoved to the back and forgotten) and we thought it tasted just fine.  

5) And lastly I am looking for a fool proof buttercream recipe! Would anybody be willing to share? Thank you :)

Answer:  Oh please dotry this one:  http://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing

AngelMonique97 Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 7:19am
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much for the response @bakemeenchanted ‍:) it was all very helpful and thanks for the recipe suggestion, definitely going to look into trying them!

AngelMonique97 Posted 1 Mar 2016 , 7:22am
post #6 of 7

Also super helpful and informative @kakeladi ‍thank you so much!! :) And that recipe looks super easy and everyone seems to enjoy it, I will try that as well!

LaurisCakesandMore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaurisCakesandMore Posted 3 Mar 2016 , 6:06am
post #7 of 7

I know it might sound crazy, but I use popcorn salt instead of regular salt and I put it into a 1/3 cup of International Delight Sweet Cream flavored creamer. Instead of the milk or heavy cream. I also mix until 13 minutes completely. I use a mix of 1/4 tsp each of; almond, vanilla, and butter flavored extracts. Everyone seems to love it! I don't completely cover my cakes with icing to put in the freezer....but I dirty ice them. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%