Friday Night Cake Club For 2/26/16

Decorating By catlharper Updated 29 Feb 2016 , 3:30pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 12:10am
post #1 of 35

Opening up another session of the FNCC! ALL levels of cakers are welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if needed or provide help if they can!

Cat

34 replies
catlharper Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 12:20am
post #2 of 35

Hi everyone! Starting up a few hours early tonight because I have to work tonight. Today was one of those days of caking where I felt like I was stuck on a rollercoaster. The bottom tier of this wedding cake went horribly wrong. The red fondant went on like crap. So I had do two times as much work to make it look the way I wanted it to look instead. The top tier went rather easily even if the "tartan" wanted to tear on me. But once it was all done I felt such joy about it that all the crap I went through to get to that point doesn't make any difference. Sorta like a golf t'shirt I saw once...I hate this game, I hate this game, I hate this game, GREAT SHOT! I love this game!!! LOL! 

I've been very overwhelmed the past two days. The party for my daughter is in the morning and one friend tried to back out at the last minute and stick me with her part of the fees (till I mentioned I would need to talk to the other ladies to see if they would cover her part...then she got embarrassed and said she'd figure it all out...sigh) and then another friend arrived at my doorstep with a check for her fees because she thinks she has the flu! So now, out of 5 of us, there will be one there who is a bit resentful because I didn't just pay for her and one who really really wants to be there and has already paid for it who is stuck home sick! UGH! But I have the favors ready to go and I'm just hoping my daughter totally loves the tea party in the end! That is tomorrow morning, tomorrow afternoon is the wedding and all day long is my son's first high school baseball games and I'm going to miss them due to having to reschedule my daughters birthday and the short notice wedding. And then there is Oscar's on Sunday...and I'm making the cake for that too. 

Fortunately vacation is in two weeks. And I need it SO much! We are taking our son to Disneyland to celebrate his 15th birthday. I seriously can't wait. 

Anyways, here's the cake![postimage id="2696" thumb="900"]

kcampeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcampeau Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 1:45am
post #3 of 35

[postimage id="2697" thumb="900"]

Brown.Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brown.Sugar Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 3:33am
post #4 of 35

This is one I did today.  I think it turned out great and was what the client wanted!  [postimage id="2699" thumb="900"]

jellybeanlane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jellybeanlane Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 6:32am
post #5 of 35

@catlharper ‍ wow it sounds like you had a crazy week, bless your heart! But the cake is gorgeous!! Mine kinda went like that too... but I can say I tried something new in the baking world this week and I'm sure I don't even come close to all the talent you guys have but it was the first time I tried doing fondant petals and first time trying the quilted look, I have always been just a kitchen cake baker you know just bake a cake for dinners or Sundays the way my grandma taught me and my mom loved me baking her a cake for her birthday... so when I got interested in decorating more I would learn from you tube videos or the internet, now I learn so much from yall too... so thank you for that! and I hope you have a better week next week....

@kcampeau ‍ beautiful cake my granddaughter would love it!

@Brown.Sugar ‍ I love that beautiful bow!

this is my cake this week , hope yall have a wonderful weekend!

jellybean :0)[postimage id="2700" thumb="900"]

jellybeanlane Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 6:33am
post #6 of 35

side 2 same cake

[postimage id="2701" thumb="900"]

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 27 Feb 2016 , 1:34pm
post #7 of 35

@catlharper ‍ Love your cake and the bright colors. Can't wait to see the other two. Hopefully they won't cause you any grief.

@kcampeau ‍ I bet you made some little girl happy with that cake.

@Brown.Sugar ‍ I agree that is a great bow. I made one once and it ended up all squished.

@jellybeanlane ‍ just gorgeous! I love the two sides.

I should finished mine sometime today. I am working on my second Eiffel Tower. The first one has only would good side the others are definitely more leaning. I think the top of the second one seem a little better. I am trying to mend one of the legs on the bottom as I broke all my extras (3) trying to put it together last night. Can't wait to finish it. 

Looking forward to seeing more cakes. Have a great weekend.

jellybeanlane Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 12:55am
post #8 of 35

Thank you so much.. @Marian64 ‍ 

hep275 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hep275 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 11:01am
post #9 of 35

Not made last week but on Saturday! Been wanting to play with petal ruffles as I have seen some pics of stunning cakes using them but have to say they weren't as straight forward as I thought they'd be. First of all the ruffles 'dropped out' - I realised then that they are supposed to dry a bit but i wondered if my sponge mat was too soft so I am going to get myself a foam mat.  I know they're all supposed to look pretty much uniform but it seems impossible to get them to all look the same.  As a first stab I'm reasonably happy, but need to practice some more.  

[postimage id="2709" thumb="900"]

annykimmm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annykimmm Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 11:19am
post #10 of 35

Everyone's cakes look amazing! So many tiered cakes! The cake I did this week is me trying to be funny... 

[postimage id="2710" thumb="900"]

it's a carrot cake stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes.png

MsLiaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsLiaJ Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 1:36pm
post #11 of 35

[postimage id="2712" thumb="900"][postimage id="2713" thumb="900"][postimage id="2714" thumb="900"][postimage id="2715" thumb="900"]I've had a busy week!! Here a 4 of the 9:)

Marian64 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 35
SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 4:50pm
post #13 of 35

Great work everyone!

A bit of a busy one for me this week. @catlharper ‍ remember just last week we were talking about taking on too many orders? Well, it's happening to me this week lol I have 4 major orders all for Friday, including school in between all of that. I don't know why I agreed to all of this haha!

My favourite from this week is our rainbow sprinkle cake! So fun and easy to make!

900_rainbow-sprinkle-birthday-cake-9375123fQNb.jpg

Then some Peppa pig sugar cookies with matching cake pops:

900_red-cake-pops-with-sprinkles-937512Ol0XO.jpg

Sugar cookies for a 40th birthday:

900_40th-birthday-sugar-cookies-937512byIPm.jpg

Some airplane sugar cookies:

900_airplane-sugar-cookies-937512XYuV9.jpg

Have a great Sunday everyone!

catlharper Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 35

WOW! I had no idea I'd be seeing SO many really cool cakes and new people when I logged on this morning! WOW! Now where do I start? LOL!

@kcampeau ‍ LOVE your Ariel cake! I've tried ruffles before and wasn't all that successful but yours are perfect! 

@Brown.Sugar ‍ oooo, love the topper! And great idea texturing the name plaque! I never think of that! Really pretty cake!

@jellybeanlane ‍ That wedding cake is SO much fun! Wedding up front, Grooms cake in back! LOL! I was talking about it last night at a wedding I was at and everyone loved the idea!

@Marian64 ‍ I really hope you manage to get the pictures up...looks like you have tried twice and it hasn't worked for you!! Keep trying?

@hep275 ‍ I don't think I've seen rose petal ruffles before! Lovely and delicate!

@annykimmm ‍ LOL! LOL! LOL! That's great!

@MsLiaJ ‍ That first cake...OH MY! LOL! Love your Lego and Minion cakes and your frozen cupcakes! Those three would manage to make ALL of my kids/grandkids happy! LOL!

@SweetShop5 ‍ How do we get ourselves INTO this? Oh yeah, by not knowing how to say no. That's right. LOL! Love all of your creations this week but your Peppa Pig cookies are my favorites! I'm simply amazed by those who can do cookies!

Here is a photo of the Bride and Groom (he dressed in her heritage attire and she dressed in his) with the cake from the wedding! Everyone loved it. I overheard the groom explaining the different tiers and how it was "actually HAND PAINTED!" LOL! However, one lady didn't think it was real and decided to touch it...sort of "pinch" it? So by the cake cutting there was a nice little thumbprint and pinch in the top tier at the front. SIGH. My daughter actually overheard the lady go "Oh! It's real!" Oh My.  [postimage id="2719" thumb="900"]

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 35

@catlharper ‍ That is totally it! And guess what? I just got another order for Sunday and I couldn't say no

catlharper Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 35

@SweetShop5 ‍ And that's why I'm about to start on my The Martian cake...cause I just can't say no. LOL! You are going to have quite the week!

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 7:43pm
post #17 of 35
MsLiaJ Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 8:41pm
post #18 of 35

@catlharper ‍ Thank you Cat!!! You're cake is AWESOME! Yeah I was totally not looking forward to that first cake...lol My baby sister asked for it for her best friend that's getting married, and my mom was looking over my shoulder the entire time! It was crazy and my first time making him "erect". It was so uncomfortable, but worth it when I seen the bridal party's faces!

@Brown.Sugar ‍ I love that cake!! I'm all about those curly q's!

@SweetShop5 You're cookies are AMAZING...well make that everything! I may ask you for some pointers if i get to doing cookies. I'm all cake for now!

@kcampeau ‍ you gave me life with you ariel cake! I literally had someone ask for a "mermaid princess" cake about 2 hours ago. And what better choice than Ariel!

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 8:44pm
post #19 of 35

Everyone's cakes & cookies look great.

@catlharper ‍ What a cute couple.

Such an abundance of talent. Well here is my latest.... Red Velvet Cake w Cream cheese Buttercream. Fondant/Gumpaste decorations.

[postimage id="2723" thumb="900"]

catlharper Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 9:07pm
post #21 of 35

Ok, finished the cake! All ready for the family Oscar Party today! The cake is yellow cake covered in buttercream and then marbled fondant then dusted with cocoa powder mixed with gold luster dust. The name is painted silver over buttercream. I have noticed that when I want things to be bumpy it's hard to do and when I want them to be smooth they turn out bumpy! This cake was a challenge because I wanted it to be very bumpy...I was only halfway successful as you can see. Oh well, it's for the family and I'm sure they will love it.  See ya'll Friday![postimage id="2724" thumb="900"]

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 10:03pm
post #22 of 35

A friend asked me to make a cake for her 88th birthday at short notice.  Since my vanilla cake is her recipe, I felt I couldn't say no :-)  As she is a bit more old school, I thought she would prefer the cake to be iced with buttercream before the fondant, instead of my usual ganache.  Now I remember why I switched to ganache!  It was such a pain to smooth the crumbcoat and I actually just gave up in the end.  It was only for a small family gathering so I hope she was pleased with it.  The flowers were recycled from a previous cake I had done.

[postimage id="2725" thumb="900"]

Brown.Sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brown.Sugar Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 11:16pm
post #23 of 35

Thanks guys!!!! The trick to a great bow is rolling the gumpast thin and then letting it dry overnight before assembling!  Then I spray it with a shimmer of pearl food coloring to make it look like ribbon...

carolinecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinecakes Posted 28 Feb 2016 , 11:20pm
post #24 of 35

Thank you MsLiaJ. Your work is fabulous, I'm sure you'll nail it.

Marian64 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 1:10am
post #25 of 35

Well I am going to try again to post my cakes. 

The rest of the cakes and cookies are wonderful. Love the rabbit I might steal that idea one year.

My second attempt at the Eiffel Tower was straight unfortunately I bumped the table and it shatter. So I used the first one leaning and all. I made some cupcakes. 

[postimage id="2726" thumb="900"]

MsLiaJ Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 1:45am
post #26 of 35

@marian64 how did you make the eiffel tower?

Marian64 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 2:34am
post #27 of 35

@MsLiaJ ‍ royal icing and I got a template off the internet. Then after I finished I found this tutorial on line. Wish I had used it the first time. I used tip 3 for the whole thing. It was easier than I thought.

http://www.sugarduchess.com/2011/02/eiffel-tower-tutorial/

Naivohw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Naivohw Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:43am
post #28 of 35

[postimage id="2730" thumb="900"]

I haven't been around in ages, but here's a cake I did for my best friend's niece, for her 2nd birthday. I'm not pleased with my buttercream smoothing but it was a bit of a rush cake unfortunately.

Marian64 Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 3:50am
post #29 of 35

@Naivohw ‍ I love it. It looks great to me and I am sure she loved it.

catlharper Posted 29 Feb 2016 , 5:27am
post #30 of 35

@Marian64 ‍ Oh, Em, Gee! I totally ADORE it!  I'm so sad for you that your "perfect" tower got broken but totally happy you had a second one to go on top! That is a lesson well learned now for all of us who may attempt something like that in the future! In the meantime, I just love that cake. My favorite of this week so far!

@Naivohw ‍ So cute! Are those real gumballs??!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%